Is spousal SS automatic?

CardsFan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Looking to start SS next year. DW already claimed, on her record, at 65. I was the higher earner, and she will want to claim on my record for increased benefits once I claim. FWIW, I will be claiming at FRA plus one or two months.

Once I file, does DW need to do anything? Is it automatic? Or does she need to get on line and file a claim for spousal benefit?

Well, before hitting send, I searched a little more and found this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kotlik...spousal-benefits-when-i-file/?sh=133a1136716d

Your wife would need to file an application in order to claim spousal benefits. And since she's already drawing her own retirement benefits, she won't be able to file for spousal benefits online. Your wife will need to call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 in order to initiate the application process.

Is this process others have used? Does she have to wait until I have been approved? Or just after I filed?

Thanks for your help.

After you have been approved. You must be in the system. It is not automatic. Plenty of widows found out way too late that they were short changed by the SSA and could only get 6 months retro returned returned to them.

After you have been approved. You must be in the system. It is not automatic. Plenty of widows found out way too late that they were short changed by the SSA and could only get 6 months retro returned returned to them.

Thanks. Is it only available via telephone (or in person), not on line? that seems weird in this day and age.

That I don’t know. So much changed with C-19. I don’t know what the phone waits are, but we’ve done most things by phone, except her initial filing.

I recommend you make a telephone appointment for your own benefits and for your wife to apply for her spousal benefits on the same call.

When I applied for my benefits by telephone appointment, they were approved immediately.

I recommend you make a telephone appointment for your own benefits and for your wife to apply for her spousal benefits on the same call.

When I applied for my benefits by telephone appointment, they were approved immediately.

Thanks, but too late. I just applied on-line earlier today.:facepalm:

We will wait my approval and then have her call.

Back
Top Bottom