Is this the most volatile market in 50 years?

Doesn’t the VIX go down when market is up a lot?

I suspect just as the great depression had a lifelong lasting impact on many investors, so will the great recession of 07-08.
It sure did for me!! Made me bold as h*'ll!

I learned benefit of holding tight and not panicking.

There's a HBO Vice documentary on the Financial Crisis, 10 years afterwards.

Lot of insights into how Paulsen, Bernanke and Geitner were thinking at the time.

This is th link I was referring to. If anyone feels there is legitimate data in the linked article that adds to the discussion, they should reproduce that data here for discussion.

I'm not sure "legitimate" would be the correct word for that author.

Nothing in the article or video substantiates the headline.

Is it time to sell all our stock mutual funds? We are in our 60s and husband is 64 near retirement (which will be 66)- no pensions. I am 62 and just quit my job and not collecting SS either- FRA is 66 and 4 months. Will need health insurance when husband retires.

I am very nervous as we literally need to live off this money. Our plan was for husband to collect SS at 70 and me at 66 and live off savings as well.

You can get 3.5% on a 5 yr CD right now. Maybe 4%+ in 2019. Average market return is 5-7% over that past dozen decades. Not worth it for me. Sleep much better being out of the market. Depends what kind of return you are after? I am good with 3-4%. Just my 2. Got cut in 1/2 twice over the past 35 yrs. Thats enough excitement for me, thank you.
P.S. Taking my SS in 5 yrs at 62. If I don't need it, I will bank it for down the road.
Just paid so much into it, would hate to kick the bucket and not see any of it.
Or have some type of Gov. alteration in the program........... Again, just my 2.
(Not many see things the way I do) lol lol

Last edited:
You can get 3.5% on a 5 yr CD right now. Maybe 4%+ in 2019. Average market return is 6-7% over that past dozen decades. Not worth it for me. Sleep much better being out of the market. Depends what kind of return you are after? I am good with 3-4%. Just my 2. Got cut in 1/2 twice over the past 35 yrs. Thats enough excitement for me, thank you.
P.S. Taking my SS in 5 yrs at 62. If I don't need it, I will bank it for down the road.
Or have some type of Gov. alteration in the program........... Again, just my 2.

3.5% before taxes could be cutting it close for some folks WR%, but I hear ya.
Hopefully rates don't sink back down again.

Am not saying it's for everyone. But I for one have no interest in another 2000-2013 lost decade. Stomach just can't handle it. lol lol

Better show this chart to CNBC...........
"According to CNBC today this market is now officially the most volatile market on record"

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
^ I hear you. I'm invested 75% equities so I'm going to have to ride it out. I hope it doesn't last for a decade. LOL

You can get 3.5% on a 5 yr CD right now. Maybe 4%+ in 2019. Average market return is 5-7% over that past dozen decades. Not worth it for me. Sleep much better being out of the market. Depends what kind of return you are after? I am good with 3-4%. Just my 2. Got cut in 1/2 twice over the past 35 yrs. Thats enough excitement for me, thank you.
(Not many see things the way I do) lol lol

The only thing is it is a lot of IRA money we have with the mutual fund company and they do not have CD's. It would all have to go into a money market fund. I am talking like $700,000 between me and my husband.

Then there is our brokerage account (mostly bond ETFs and funds) and my Inherited IRA account. It is overwhelming to me.

Meanwhile, we are only getting an overall personal return rate of a little over 3% on these funds as a whole.

Last edited:
The only thing is it is a lot of IRA money we have with the mutual fund company and they do not have CD's. It would all have to go into a money market fund. I am talking like $700,000 between me and my husband.

Then there is our brokerage account (mostly bond ETFs and funds) and my Inherited IRA account. It is overwhelming to me.

Meanwhile, we are only getting an overall personal return rate of a little over 3% on these funds as a whole.

Consider moving the IRA money from the mutual fund company to the brokerage - there will be more options for your money to work for you.

Consider moving the IRA money from the mutual fund company to the brokerage - there will be more options for your money to work for you.

The brokerage is with the same Financial/Mutual Fund company. So is the Inherited IRA.

You mean set up a brokerage IRA with CD's and roll it all- or most of it -over into it?

I wonder what that will cost to do...hmm- less than losing our shirts...

Ugh... I hate this...

The brokerage is with the same Financial/Mutual Fund company. So is the Inherited IRA.

You mean set up a brokerage IRA with CD's and roll it all- or most of it -over into it?

Ugh... I hate this...

Yes - if you're only getting 3% with the money in the mutual funds and are feeling a little uneasy, why take any risk - you can get 3%-4% with CDs having absolutely no risk.

Ugh... I hate this...

I don't understand? It shouldn't cost anything to change to another institution?
Unless you're talking about what you would sell the mutual funds for now V.S. purchase price?

The market seemed to get well ahead of itself in 2017, so this just seems like serious give back.

Ugh... I hate this...

Your comment makes me think of DW. She makes a face anytime I even mention anything about our accounts. She even asked me the other day if we were going to be "OK".

We are going to be OK because we have a big chunk of CD's that will take care of our expenses for several years.

Not sure what your situation is, but I wonder if your AA is consistent with your level of risk tolerance.

It is very, very easy and no cost to buy CD's using an IRA rollover. Since you already have the mutual funds with a broker, it's just one phone call. The hard part will be deciding what to sell.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom