It’s Suze Orman one of the worst

The article also says Bill Bergan has increased his percentage to 4.7%. That's a little rich for my conservative blood, but at least he backs his numbers up with math and real data. She's just pulling this stuff out of her tanned behind. And I do realize that her target audience is very different than most here, but still, I'd have probably shot myself if I thought I'd have to work to 70 and only draw down 3% max.

LOL, same here. Although for me it's not that numbers I have a problem with, it's the idea of being forced into it. If someone wants to work until they're 70, and enjoys doing it, I say have at it. And if they only want to live off of 3% for whatever reason (good pensions/SS, wanting to leave an inheritance, etc), again, go for it. If that's what someone wants to do, as long as they're in good health to where they can keep working that long, and don't run into big healthcare problems, they'll be just fine.

But to me the terror is being forced into that scenario, when you really don't want to. And I think Suze Orman sometimes goes the scare-mongering route, making people think they HAVE to work that long, and live off of that low of a rate.

I never thought I'd have to work until 70, myself, mostly because all of my grandparents, and relatives of their generation, retired in the 55-60 range, and then only worked in later years if they wanted to. My grandparents also taught me the idea of saving at a fairly early age, and both of my Granddads told me that I should look into something other than just savings accounts, CDs, etc.

One of my Granddad's gave me some money/finance magazine back around 1991. I remember looking through it, and one article was about some high performing mutual funds. I think the #1 in that article was 20th Century Ultra, which did 20%+ the year before. I did the math, and seem to recall that if you put $1,000 into it, and it made 20% every year, you'd hit $1M in 37 years or something like that.

Of course, no fund is going to return 20% consistently every year. And then there's taxes, inflation, fun stuff like that. So logically, I knew that scenario wouldn't play out. Yet at the same time, the idea of taking an amount so small, and turning it into that fascinated me, and I also knew I wouldn't just put in $1K and forget it, but would rather keep investing, as I was able.

I can still remember, telling one of my younger friends, who was 18, about investing, and using that scenario. He totally blew it off. However, his dismissal wasn't about how unrealistic that scenario was, but rather along the lines of "So what? I'd have to wait 37 years for that $1M, and I'd be an old man!" I guess some people just aren't wired for long term thinking.

Anyway, it was the fall of 1991 that I made my first mutual fund investment. I went with 20th Century, but screwed up and bought their Growth Fund, instead of Ultra. I bought $1500, at $21.24 per share.

I don't know what that initial $1500 would have grown to today. I know it was nowhere near 20% annually. I just looked online, and as of the last close, it was at $44.93 (It's now American Century Ultra). But, there have been countless distributions, capital gains, etc over the past 30 years. Plus I've bought more, sold some, and so on, and today it's only a small part of my portfolio.

As for total invested assets, I slipped above the $1M mark in February of 2015. Naturally, it took a lot more additional investing to get there, and inflation had taken its bite, but it still felt pretty good. As for my friend, we had a falling out back in the early 90s. I heard he joined the Navy, but screwed up and got kicked out. And then I heard he carjacked someone with a toy gun in 1995, went to prison for a few years. I talked to him on the phone, maybe once, since he got out, but that's probably been a good 20 years.

Anyway, I guess there's a lesson or something in there, like perseverance pays off, but carjacking doesn't! Your mileage may vary.

The problem Orman has is she is so rich she has lost touch with common people with savings. She once said "you need at least $5 million — and "really" more like $10 million, saved up in order to make an early exit from the workforce."
Here lifestyle is not something most people will attain and she doesn't understand you can live very well on $1M or $2M.
In fact, " statistically, around 10% of retirees have $1 million or more in savings." So where do the other 90% fit in Orman's mind. She is just out of touch.

https://www.businessinsider.com/suze-orman-says-you-need-at-least-5-million-to-retire-early-2018-10

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/many-americans-retire-million-dollars-140019814.html

I think of Suzy as financial entertainment. Much like Dr. Phil as psychology entertainment. Or Dr. Oz as medical entertainment. She needs her name and face out there for free advertising. The more ridiculous the more clicks. That segment on her old show about "can you afford this?" was a hoot. Like anyone believed any of it, but entertaining.

"Suzy, I earn $45K/year but want to take a $15K vacation for my anniversary. Can I afford it?" I'm convinced those were setups. Ask the dumbest financial question to the wizard. She'll tell you what you can afford.

So, just out of curiosity, if you didn't save how did you reach FIRE?

Please quote the post where I said that I didn't save? And I mean me, not other people.

This seems to be a repetitive thing with you implying I said something that I haven't. Earlier you implied that I disagreed that people should save and get the company match. Now you're implying I didn't save. And I never stated either of those things. Go back and read more carefully. :LOL:

I used to love Suzi and her show. I learned quite a bit from her actually, many years ago. I liked the "Can I afford it" and she really bore down on the "Needs vs Wants", which is an aspect I think many do not look at

I agree, that lately she seems more out of touch.

What's your point? Nobody is saying people shouldn't save. You seem to be looking for a fight. All anyone is saying that her numbers don't work. And the comment that you quoted above is merely saying that some people won't save no matter who tells them to.
Thank you. That is exactly right.

The company match part is pretty darned important. Neither the young wife nor I ever had a company match, and I'm sure that most people still don't.

This is very true. There is so much "press" with an assumption of this match - when for a vast number of people (including myself) it was just not there. In fact, when I got my first "real job" after graduation I was paid as an independent contractor, because my "employer" was cheap. So, even though I worked for him at least 40 hours per week, and he supervised my work, I paid my own social security taxes, did not receive vacation time, did not receive travel reimbursement, nada. (I heard after I left that he fired a long-time secretary - who was good - to hire someone cheaper. The old secretary went after him for benefits, and I heard that she did get a substantial settlement.)

My benefit at my second job - was that since I was the latest hire, I got to work Saturdays when the office was closed, so that I could answer the phone. (They did pay SS and allowed 2 weeks of vacation after the first year.)

It wasn't even until I got my third "real job" that the office even had a 401k.

In fact, " statistically, around 10% of retirees have $1 million or more in savings." So where do the other 90% fit in Orman's mind. She is just out of touch.

It looks like they are referring to retirement accounts only, like 401K and IRAs, not other non-retirement accounts, which could be significant. So, that makes it seem even worse than it is.

In the same article, regarding net worth, it says:

"In terms of the average retiree’s net worth, the Federal Reserve data puts it at approximately $1.2 million for those aged 65 to 74"

I don't like that it says average instead of median.

Many have pensions as well, of course, that can have significant value.

But true, a pretty small percentage would have 5 to 10 million dollars as Suzi mentions.

Last edited:
I always worked for a company with a match. Usually 5 percent. Knowledge based IT firms.

Four things amazed me as a senior manager...

-the number of people who did not take full advantage of the company retirement match

-the number of people who never went into their retirement account or changed investment options. The company average, according to senior corporate HR VP was measured in years... in the high single didgits

-the number of people at one firm who did not take advantage of the company stock plan that guaranteed a return of 15 percent EVERY six months at the buy period. EE's could buy up to 10 percent of their salary via payroll deductions. Then sell immediately after the buy period.

-the number of employees who did not attend company retirement and investment seminars hosted by independent financial experts (who were not selling/promoting a financial product).

Not a particular fan of Orman but perhaps she was trying to reach some of these people.

Brett, all very true and after a long career with a company that had a very generous 401k match AND a full pension plan for ALL employees, I've stopped being amazed at the number of employees who don't take advantage of the things you mentioned above.

Our company match increased based on years of service, After 10 years I've been receiving 7% company match on my 6% contributions for the past 24 years! This is one of the reasons I'm retiring next month.

Suze is an entertainer who previously worked in the financial industry. Zero integrity. Remember when Suze was selling prepaid credit/debit cards? I do, and so does the internet:

https://www.nbcnews.com/businessmain/truth-behind-suze-ormans-new-debit-card-1c7101032

The Approved card sells for $3 and there’s a $3 monthly fee (waived for the first month).

Fees include:

• $1 for pay by check

• $2 per paper statement

• $2 per over-the counter cash withdrawal

• $2 per call to talk to a live customer service agent (after one free call per month)

• $3 card replacement fee

Suze is an entertainer who previously worked in the financial industry. Zero integrity. Remember when Suze was selling prepaid credit/debit cards? I do, and so does the internet:

https://www.nbcnews.com/businessmain/truth-behind-suze-ormans-new-debit-card-1c7101032

The Approved card sells for $3 and there’s a $3 monthly fee (waived for the first month).

Fees include:

• $1 for pay by check

• $2 per paper statement

• $2 per over-the counter cash withdrawal

• $2 per call to talk to a live customer service agent (after one free call per month)

• $3 card replacement fee

I did remember that - although not all the specifics that you cited.

The company match part is pretty darned important. Neither the young wife nor I ever had a company match, and I'm sure that most people still don't.

I have to give credit to my company match. It is probably the single most important reason that I retired with "enough" instead of "I hope it's enough." The match was in company stock (no choice - couldn't do anything with it until retirement.) So there was no choice but to let it ride. We couldn't "fiddle" with it.

I've often said I made every financial mistake in the book, but my company wouldn't let me screw up the match money. Looking back, THAT was probably the key to my ER. That stock had all kinds of ups and downs, but every 10 years or so, it would go nuts. At one time, that was 75% of my stash! THEN megacorp finally allowed us to diversify the stock (they must have realized how many of us held essentially one stock - megacorp.) By then I had begun to understand investing and went with mutual funds across a wide range. The rest is history. Thank you megacorp!

I stopped complaining about Suze and Ramsey once I saw just how much garbage the younger generations are being exposed to on social media. The stock market is bad and they are all trying to sell the next generation on bitcoin, IULs, real estate (using tactics that pretty sure are mortgage fraud), or things disguising MLMs.

This is very true. There is so much "press" with an assumption of this match - when for a vast number of people (including myself) it was just not there.

It was pretty disappointing to see how many employers terminated their DB pension plans and introduced a 401(k) with no match, essentially reducing the cost of retirement funding for their employees to zero.

Brett, all very true and after a long career with a company that had a very generous 401k match AND a full pension plan for ALL employees, I've stopped being amazed at the number of employees who don't take advantage of the things you mentioned above.

I'd mentioned earlier that one employer made an annual 401(k) contribution of 6% of salary to anyone not covered by the terminated DB plan even if the employees didn't contribute via payroll deductions.

One coworker would immediately withdraw it.:facepalm:

Last edited:
When I retired, I estimated that the company match factored into my 401K gave me an annual average return of over 10%, even with an AA that never reached 100% equities.

Like many of the "celebrity" personal finance punditd, Suze Orman can be right sometimes. She is just not going to be right all, maybe most, of the time. None of them will be. A reason to never cast you lots behind a single one of these folks. Listen to multiple folks, and see where they are most consistent. The accurate information they are finding a million different ways to say is "avoid debt, save your money, and invest". I could never be a personal finance "pundit" as that is the only way I know how to say it :).

I have to give credit to my company match. It is probably the single most important reason that I retired with "enough" instead of "I hope it's enough." The match was in company stock (no choice - couldn't do anything with it until retirement.) So there was no choice but to let it ride. We couldn't "fiddle" with it.

I've often said I made every financial mistake in the book, but my company wouldn't let me screw up the match money. Looking back, THAT was probably the key to my ER. That stock had all kinds of ups and downs, but every 10 years or so, it would go nuts. At one time, that was 75% of my stash! THEN megacorp finally allowed us to diversify the stock (they must have realized how many of us held essentially one stock - megacorp.) By then I had begun to understand investing and went with mutual funds across a wide range. The rest is history. Thank you megacorp!

My former company did a lot of things with its company match and company stock in my 23 years with the company.

I began with a 50% match on the first 6% of salary if we chose to contribute to our 401k. In 1991, they increased the match to 75% of the first 6% of salary.

In 1997, they introduced the ESOP (company stock) which was based on a quarterly stock price evaluation (we were not publicly traded at the time) and our total compensation for the year. This was part of the overall retirement/savings plan.

Starting in 2002, the company did a lot of things. One was freezing the pension plan unless you met the grandfather requirements (age and service) to remain in it. Otherwise, we had a cash-balance plan which is a hybrid of a DB and DC plan. We could also sell up to 25% of our ESOP shares back to the company (a non-taxable event within the plan). I did this. Remember, this was while all the company scandals like Enron were happening.

In 2005, we could sell up to 35% of our shares, so I sold off the extra 10%.

In 2007, they started using company stock instead of cash for the 401k matching, shares which could be immediately converted to cash. This reduced our annual allocated shares by about 40%. I had reduced my weekly hours worked that year, so I wasn't getting many new shares. It was around this time that the company officially merged the ESOP and the 401k, streamlining the slightly different rules into a common set of them.

My biggest increase in value in the overall plan was the growth in the ESOP even if I weren't adding new shares. From Day One in 1997, the share's value increased by about 3000%. I saw this as my road to an early retirement by the end of 2008.

The share price failed to increase only 2 times in the 47 quarterly evaluations from 1997 through 2008. They were small drops, one in 2007 and the other in late 2008, when the markets were crashing. But they were trivial compared to the other 45 times it rose.

I cashed out the company stock at favorable tax rates thanks to NUA (Net Unrealized Appreciation) which accounted for 97% of the stock's value, taxable at LTCG rates (15%) at the time.

Last edited:
I lost considerable respect for her advice when she made the blanket statement not to invest in bond funds.

Hmmmmm....... Don't we have a lengthy thread which includes discussion about bonds vs bond funds running here on the FIRE Forum right now?

Last edited:
We were never offered a match (state employee) but did have access to a deferred compensation plan that I used and a pension, both of which I’m grateful for. It’s all working out now but I think most didn’t take advantage of the 457 (deferred comp).

I had an early lesson when I had to move for a better opportunity and bought a new house before the old one was sold. Bridge financing was for $250k and interest was 18%.

During and after that six months, I had developed a distaste for debt. I developed a determined focus to eliminate all debt.

The rest of our lives, we had no more financial crises. I watched the odd Suze show and thought: "Wow that is good advice! Who is her target audience?"

It is sure not anyone here! So why is this thread so long?

My employer had a supplemental plan that allowed me to contribute pre-tax well beyond the yearly 401K/457B limits. I contributed over $60K into my company retirement plan one yaer a few years back because of it. But because there was less than 1% employee participation in the supplemental plan, they stopped providing it as an option this year. Well, as it turns out, it didn't end up mattering to me since I was forced into a slightly earlier retirement and am getting severance. I did pretty much max out the 457B including catch-up and never stopped fully funding my Roth as well. :greetings10:

Last edited:
I stopped complaining about Suze and Ramsey once I saw just how much garbage the younger generations are being exposed to on social media. The stock market is bad and they are all trying to sell the next generation on bitcoin, IULs, real estate (using tactics that pretty sure are mortgage fraud), or things disguising MLMs.
There is worse advice than "avoid debt". Once you are out of debt hopefully you have picked up there is good debt and bad debt. Ramsey is not bad. In fact he is excellent at helping folks slay the debt dragon, probably the biggest issue for the masses.

Suzy carries that veneer of legitimacy but among the things she annoys with is this schtick of all too desperate familiarity. Don't you think so, girlfriend?

I had an early lesson when I had to move for a better opportunity and bought a new house before the old one was sold. Bridge financing was for $250k and interest was 18%.

During and after that six months, I had developed a distaste for debt. I developed a determined focus to eliminate all debt.

The rest of our lives, we had no more financial crises. I watched the odd Suze show and thought: "Wow that is good advice! Who is her target audience?"

It is sure not anyone here! So why is this thread so long?

I think I was born with a distaste for debt and a proclivity for LBYM. Possibly from my DF - certainly not from my DM. My one debt was the mortgage, which in spite of less than impressive earnings, I somehow paid off in seven years.

If one is an ignorant beginner, Susie may offer some descent advice and generally point in the right direction.

Imagine you live in St. Louis and need to travel to an address located in New York City. Suzie Orman is the map of the USA that shows the major highways to get you to NYC from St Louis.

But, once you get to NYC you need a up-to-date street map to get you to the exact address. And you need to be able to read the map. (Yes, a lost art today for many born in the era of GPS on every phone.) You can get help reading the map and navigating the city's streets from sites like this. Both Cheatum Blvd and Thrifty Lane will get you to the proper neighborhood, but Cheatum is a toll road with lots of congestion while Thrifty Lane is a wide open lesser used drive with no tolls and free parking on the side streets. <-- The kind of information that will save you time, money and aggravation.

IOW, Suzie will get you thinking in the general area of where you should invest, but to complete the job properly and optimize your earnings you need places like this site, HumbleDollar.com, etc. Otherwise, you could spend a lot of time and money hunting around in far away neighborhoods at best and in just plain bad neighborhoods at worst.

Last edited:
I think I was born with a distaste for debt and a proclivity for LBYM. Possibly from my DF - certainly not from my DM. My one debt was the mortgage, which in spite of less than impressive earnings, I somehow paid off in seven years.

We too always paid off our mortgages sooner than required - even though it might have been better to invest the money in something with higher return. I think that was, as you suggest, a "distaste" for debt. We knew it was a necessary evil (and we concentrated on the "evil" part of that for some strange reason.) I suspect we are not alone here.:cool:

Last edited:
If one is an ignorant beginner, Susie may offer some descent advice and generally point in the right direction.

Imagine you live in St. Louis and need to travel to an address located in New York City. Suzie Orman is the map of the USA that shows the major highways to get you to NYC from St Louis.

But, once you get to NYC you need a up-to-date street map to get you to the exact address. And you need to be able to read the map. (Yes, a lost art today for many born in the era of GPS on every phone.) You can get help reading the map and navigating the city's streets from sites like this. Both Cheatum Blvd and Thrifty Lane will get you to the proper neighborhood, but Cheatum is a toll road with lots of congestion while Thrifty Lane is a wide open lesser used drive with no tolls and free parking on the side streets. <-- The kind of information that will save you time, money and aggravation.

IOW, Suzie will get you thinking in the general area of where you should invest, but to complete the job properly and optimize your earnings you need places like this site, HumbleDollar.com, etc. Otherwise, you could spend a lot of time and money hunting around in far away neighborhoods at best and in just plain bad neighborhoods at worst.

Excellent analogy!

Back
Top Bottom