J*b dilemma

amh031000

Dryer sheet wannabe
A couple years ago my boss, the owner of the company I work for, asked if I would help out with a non-profit he owns. Was supposed to just be some basic bookkeeping (paid) but ballooned into almost running the non-profit, no pay for over 2 years, and now just a small stipend. Summer is the worst time of year in this particular industry and I finally broke a last month and cried uncle as its been severely affecting my day job. The owner has agreed to hire a replacement (at 4-5x what he's paying me) and get interns during the summer, but so far I am getting zero interest.

My dilemma is this: I can't just quit as I would have to quit my main job as well. As a note, the company for my main job will sell in 2-3 yrs likely. Should I negotiate for the rate he's willing to pay a newcomer and suck it up for a couple more years for the sake of putting that extra towards ER or say screw the stress and walk away? And if I choose option 2, how on earth do I get myself out of this entanglement?

Hi there. I think you have to look at how much time you are spending on the non-profit job, and whether any of that is coming out of the time you might be spending in your full time job. If you are truly putting in a full time effort in both positions, and neither one is suffering because of the other one, then you are entitled to be paid the 4-5X compensation he would be offering someone else.

If in reality you are doing the non-profit on a part time basis, and reducing your hours that you are available to your full time job, you are still entitled to some sort of raise while you wait for your replacement to be hired, but if the amount would be nominal, perhaps the best option is to help find a replacement quickly and put this behind you.

I think that you should try to wind down the involvement in this non profit back to what you originally agreed upon. You can tell the boss you have other things going on in your life that now need your attention and tell him that you were glad that you could help out for 2 years.

It is really his responsibility, but I do see your problem. My boss started a non profit and expected employees to donate their time and sometimes money to the charity.

I semi retired shortly after and was no longer involved in the day to day company drama.

I don't see any future in option #1. He is unlikely to respond well to your attempt to negotiate a raise, or he would have increased your salary some time ago.

I would be willing to bet that from his point of view, you are already earning fair if not generous overall compensation from your combined two jobs (which he probably sees as both part-time); and asking for more money because there are no candidates for the non-profit is just an attempt to take advantage and gouge him. Again, that is from his perspective!

For option #2, I'd suggest simply telling him that you have done your share over the past couple of years and it is now someone else's turn ... perhaps one of his other employees? Give him a deadline of two months and leave it to him to find a replacement. If he can't accept that, start looking for another position; you don't need to be exploited any move.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom