Jonathon Ping - FIRE is life

shotgunner

Full time employment: Posting here.
For those of you who don't follow Jonathon Ping I thought I would share what I think is one of his best blog entries ever.

Nice article, thanks for sharing.
Retirement is all about doing what you want too, whether it is staying home and working in your garden, traveling, or whatever makes you happy.
Having the finances to do that is important, if working part time helps, that's OK

Couple things......I LOVE rice and beans.....not sure why thats perceived as some bad meal in any way....anyway, last year or so I've latched onto the fact that I love a "life of leisure". No stress, lots of reading, exercise, etc
I don't need " A purpose" to feel fulfilled...I worked in sales for 28 long years....I want serenity now........

I certainly agree with this sentence.... "I was surprised to find that I do like some of the mix of purpose, money, community, etc. that comes with finding the right kind of work."

Couple things......I LOVE rice and beans.....not sure why thats perceived as some bad meal in any way....anyway, last year or so I've latched onto the fact that I love a "life of leisure". No stress, lots of reading, exercise, etc
I don't need " A purpose" to feel fulfilled...I worked in sales for 28 long years....I want serenity now........
Rice and beans is a staple and sometimes a full meal in many Caribbean countries/Mexico and thus can be perceived to be sustenance for poorer folks.
I am with you though and love rice and beans.

I was in a high stress position with no control on the volume of work or lack of time given to me by others to meet a deadline for the last 17 years I worked. I couldn't put a price on how much pleasure 100% autonomy has brought me for the last 9 years when I retired at 58.

The RE is about not trading the best hours of your day to make money. FI is working, saving, and investing enough that your money makes the money, not your labor and time. It frees up your time to do other things, often more useful than what you did as your career.

For me the quintissential example of living one's best life after retirement is Benjamin Franklin. He retired from active business at age 42. He was probably busier than most people after retirement, and certainly more useful. He had only two years of formal education.

Back
Top Bottom