Kentucky Derby Winner May Be Disqualified

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Read that looks like the winning horse of the Kentucky Derby was "on the sauce" with a banned substance.

Trainer Bob Baffert said Sunday morning Medina Spirit tested positive for betamethasone after winning the Kentucky Derby on May 1 at Churchill Downs, a result that ultimately could lead to the horse’s disqualification.Baffert disputed the positive test result of 21 picograms, saying Medina Spirit “has never been treated with betamethasone,” which is an anti-inflammatory drug.

According to Kentucky Horse Racing Commission regulations, a second positive test – called a “split sample” – is required before a horse can be disqualified.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...nner-medina-spirit-tests-positive/5013445001/

So, should the horse eventually get disqualified than what happens to all the payouts?

Say if you had placed a bet on the runner up, do you now get to reclaim a payout as the winner? Or is this a case of tough luck Charlie? Or how about if you thought you picked the winning horse but it got disqualified? Is that a matter of "finders keepers" or will some goon come after you to pay the false winnings back?

I don't bet but would think there's be some checks and balances in place to give horse racing the [-]impression[/-] confidence of not being a fixed sport.

Last edited:
Let’s see what the second test shows?

Let’s see what the second test shows?

Of course. That's why my thread title said "may be" disqualified.

But what happens in general about the payouts should a winner get disqualified? Seems like would be a mess to straighten out all the payouts. Or maybe the moral of the story is keep your race ticket stubs, just in case.

I was wondering the same thing! Here's the answer I found: https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ner-medina-spirit-after-drug-test/5013697001/

Bob Heleringer, author of “Equine Regulatory Law,” told The Courier Journal when the owners of Maximum Security were attempting to overturn that horse’s disqualification as the 2019 Kentucky Derby winner that once a race is official, the betting results are final, regardless of mistakes by the track or an appeal.

He called it “one of the most irrevocable standards in racing” and said it is the law in every state.

I know nothing of racing - I've been to a race track once in my life decades ago - but how often does a horse get disqualified? It seems it happens about as often as airline crashes and makes the news for that reason. Of course even I know that the Kentucky Derby is not just any ol' horse race and it may be news for that reason alone.

Testing the horses is intended to protect the horses from being run while injured. The death rate of racing horses has become an issue in the sport.

If the horse is disqualified the winner's purse will not be awarded. Likely all of the top place horses were tested.

I know nothing of racing - I've been to a race track once in my life decades ago - but how often does a horse get disqualified? It seems it happens about as often as airline crashes and makes the news for that reason. Of course even I know that the Kentucky Derby is not just any ol' horse race and it may be news for that reason alone.

In a recent Kentucky Derby (last year or the year before), the first horse across the line was disqualified for cutting off other horses around the last turn. It is relatively rare in the Derby for horses to be disqualified, and exceedingly rare for the first across the line to be disqualified.

Dunno how common it is in other races.

If the horse is disqualified the winner's purse will not be awarded. Likely all of the top place horses were tested.

In the Derby race I referred to above, the first horse across the line was disqualified and the second horse across the line was declared the winner and received the winner's purse (and the roses IIRC). "Third" place got second, and "fourth" place got third.

Ah...good ol animal abuse for everyones pleasure. Fun times.

Didnt even know the KD was on. Do people still watch that?

The Preakness had a good race.

Looked like a 2 horse race til the end, when horse, Rombauer, who was in 3rd at the time smoked both the other two to win easily.

Last edited:
What, I missed the Kentucky Derby? Oh Man!:facepalm:
I'll be paying more attention, I don't want to miss the Indianapolis 500.
Sunday May 30th.

My first experience in horse racing was at Delta Downs in the 70's. At the time I would get 3 handicap sheets, look for one that was picked to win on at least 2 out of 3 and then bet the horse to place or show. You didn't win a lot but my goal was for my girlfriend (now wife) and I to go to the clubhouse, have drinks and a meal, and just pay for the night out. Lots of fun and excitement. Never win or lose a lot.

The more I went the more confident I got - you learn the trainers, understand that the track allows those who haven't won in a while to share some victories, etc. and all kinds of "systems" on how to bet. After a time it was nothing more than gambling and can lead to big losses, especially if you drink. I had to stop.

Anyone that has been around horse racing for any time knows that it is a "shady" business. From the smallest tracks to the premier ones the same elements are always around. The business is about gambling, dollars, and winning.

Most people would question, "In such a high profile race, why would they take a chance?" The answer is just a reflection of horse racing in general - there are no consequences or it is just the cost of doing business.

Drugs play a big part in sports, not just horse racing. Anything to give you an advantage. The biggest difference in horse racing is that horses can't rat you out.

From an Atlantic article - "There are essentially three types of people in horse racing. There are the crooks who dangerously drug or otherwise abuse their horses, or who countenance such conduct from their agents, and who then dare the industry to come catch them. Then there are the dupes who labor under the fantasy that the sport is broadly fair and honest. And there are those masses in the middle—neither naive nor cheaters but rather honorable souls—who know the industry is more crooked than it ought to be but who still don't do all they can to fix the problem."
https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2014/03/the-ugly-truth-about-horse-racing/284594/

This is by no means Baffert's first offense - from what I read more like 30+.

I just try to guess the winning horse as they walk up and get loaded in the starting gate.

Seems to me like trying to win money is like trying to win at a carnival. Looks easy, but there are many variables (shady and not shady) and the house wins in the end.

My first experience (I only went a few times to a race track in my lifetime) was as a kid (horse racing is a family sport? :() ... so I saw from a kid's perspective. "Pretty horses, good hamburger meal. Oh, why all these adults so excited about tickets at a window?"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom