King Oscar Mediterranean Style Sardines Umm Good

I am so so surprised at how many people on this thread love sardines.

I absolutely adore sardines, anchovies on pizza, or any of those other little fishies.

But in real life, I have almost never met anyone who can stand them.

I like sardines (DW is a big fan too), but I absolutely LOVE anchovies. My favorite way to eat them is to mix one can of anchovies with one ripe avocado, add hot sauce (such as Cholula mentioned above) and mix well with a fork. Sit back and enjoy! Life is good!. :D

I am also a sardine lover from way back but know no one IRL who has ever liked them, except my late mom.

Oh, and my beagles.

Like Haha, I enjoy the Mediterranean ones but also just tried the Spanish style skinless and boneless packed in oil with chili peppers, also King Oscar.

Never tried sardines but I love pickled herring in cream sauce. I'm sure if I had some sardines, the wife would call the coroner or the funeral home, thinking I started to decompose.

I have fond memories as a kid traveling up the Maine coast as a kid and we did a tour of a sardine packing plant. Big boat outside, women wearing white coats and hairnets, trimming the heads, and the big mustard squirter, he just before they were sealed and cooked in the can.

Never tried sardines but I love pickled herring in cream sauce. I'm sure if I had some sardines, the wife would call the coroner or the funeral home, thinking I started to decompose.

I have fond memories as a kid traveling up the Maine coast as a kid and we did a tour of a sardine packing plant. Big boat outside, women wearing white coats and hairnets, trimming the heads, and the big mustard squirter, he just before they were sealed and cooked in the can.

I "break herring" on new years eve, My Father did it for good luck. I carry on the tradition. My favorite is the one in cream sauce too.

I "break herring" on new years eve, My Father did it for good luck. I carry on the tradition. My favorite is the one in cream sauce too.

Never heard that term before. The tradition from my father's line is to have a piece of pickled herring on New Year Day (not eve).

I have never tried sardines, but I am not much on fish unless it's a nice piece of grilled salmon or fish tacos.

Never heard that term before. The tradition from my father's line is to have a piece of pickled herring on New Year Day (not eve).

Well, you are correct, I/we eat eat after midnight so it is new years day when consumed. He has been gone so many years, my memory of things are fading, I think he called it breaking herring. I used to go to Russ and Daughters on E Houston st in Manhattan(my sister lived on E Houston). Now I go to acme in Brooklyn (30 Gem st), for my smoked fish.:)

Well, you are correct, I/we eat eat after midnight so it is new years day when consumed.

Very interesting. My father's ancestors were from northern Germany and I've heard of the same custom in some surrounding regions like Poland and Scandinavia. But I think your background is Italian? Must be the far northern section of Italy! :LOL:

I love sardines. I have a few cans left from a 6 pack of cans I picked up at Costco - boneless/skinless in olive oil - season brand. I buy the 6 packs when they have a coupon/sale. I noticed we also have some Asian sardines "old fisherman" brand - in tomato sauce... picked up on sale at our local Zion market (Asian market with all the fun/weird ramen flavors.)

My preferred way of eating sardines is to drain the oil off - then have them with rice... so just fish and rice.... Yum. I have some left over rice from dinner last night - I know what I'm having for lunch.

I like food that has anchovies in it - like the bagna cauda dip... or stuffed artichokes (anchovy paste is in the stuffing the way DH makes it.) ... but straight anchovies are too salty for me.

Back
Top Bottom