Let them fire me (lose retiree med) or?

Thank you all for your support in this.

I am not specifically valuable in a situation that affects hundreds of people unfortunately.

Just so you know, I did a stint at one of the largest outsourcers in the country. If a company "cares" about their employees they will provide a take all policy with a commitment (sounds like one year for you) with retention bonuses for key employees. When that year is up the layoffs WILL happen. 90% of your current co workers will be gone. The business model is too low margin to exist without transferring the work to their leveraged service model in low cost delivery centers. They get paid extra to make the transition work, but does not make sense to retain high paid employees who are loyal to their customer instead of the new firm when the commitment is up.

Do you have a legal plan at work? Worth getting some advice. Are your parents alive? Maybe 2 months of FMLA care giving will get you to the finish line with more safety. My guess is they just want to reduce the headcount. The savings from denying you health care is not worth the risk of a discrimination lawsuit when you are so close if they are not grandfathering you in at the new company.

Just so you know, I did a stint at one of the largest outsourcers in the country. If a company "cares" about their employees they will provide a take all policy with a commitment (sounds like one year for you) with retention bonuses for key employees. When that year is up the layoffs WILL happen. 90% of your current co workers will be gone. The business model is too low margin to exist without transferring the work to their leveraged service model in low cost delivery centers. They get paid extra to make the transition work, but does not make sense to retain high paid employees who are loyal to their customer instead of the new firm when the commitment is up.

Do you have a legal plan at work? Worth getting some advice. Are your parents alive? Maybe 2 months of FMLA care giving will get you to the finish line with more safety. My guess is they just want to reduce the headcount. The savings from denying you health care is not worth the risk of a discrimination lawsuit when you are so close if they are not grandfathering you in at the new company.

I see the one year offer as "up to 1 but probably not" but then I am the skeptical type. IDK about any legal plans there. FMLA *might* be a thing I do have a sick relative who lives alone in another state but I'd have to use all my PTO instead of having it paid out I imagine.

I will say laying off an employee a few months before retirement benefits
are vested is ripe for an age discrimination lawsuit. Worse case pull the FMLA card. Even having to burn PTO is by far the least pain of the choices wiyh losing retiree medical.

With outsourcing your department already established, they can't claim bad employee. Should be an easy lawsuit win.

I do know of someone who missed it by 1 day in a prior round of layoffs. Or at least they spoke up in a meeting and said that was the case. . .

It should be against the law to take things like that away after more than 30 years of service especially when this is all the result of choices the company has made.

W*rkers seem to have little protection

The last time I saw layoffs in my department people had more notice and severance. I can't say anyone was happy of course but this is very different.

Last edited:
Keeping current job is not an option, but I can decline, and get the medical by the skin of my teeth. It just happened so very confused about it all - that is the only clear option. New job no ins or keep ins no job. I do have a small pension I could take but it be a push to live on that and taking 401k seems not optimal at 55.

Since we don't know the details it is hard to give sensible comment. But even if you old job won't play along I would think you new one would unless you did something really bad.

Small update just because I think it is funny. Declined to be rebadged. Boss is to meet with me to give me my raise which I have maybe one check left IDK can't get a straight answer.

Last edited:
Small update just because I think it is funny. Declined to be rebadged. Boss is to meet with me to give me my raise which I have maybe one check left IDK can't get a straight answer.

Don't keep asking how much longer they're going to keep you! Best not to remind them.

Oh I am really not its just more complicated than I wanted to type and I don't really believe it will remain the same as they said originally. Only time will tell.

That last comment sounds positive like they are willing to work with you, I hope so.
The bottom line is most companies don't want the hassle of unhappy ex employees sharing with others how they screwed over a long time employee so they try to work a satisfactory exit for you. I got laid off with no notice whatsoever but very was decently compensated, it was the best day of my life.
Good luck...

Thanks but no you are reading too much into my post. It is more likely I will be let go before my given termination date. IT people get access yanked so . . .

Back
Top Bottom