Liking my boring account these days

MichealKnight

Full time employment: Posting here.
Novice investor here, fully admit that. I'm 40% stocks. Most of that is in my main account that has a good slug of GOOG, AAPL, MSFT, even a speculative play Matterhorn MTTR. . I'm scared to look at that one for the last 2 weeks- this forum has taught me - finally - in life, not to panic sell like I always did for 20 years. So I've not looked.

But 20% of the stocks is in my get-off-my-lawn- account. Yes, the account nickname is "Lawn" and in that - I only put stuff that people sitting at Chipotle having extra guac- just don't want much to do with (yes, flame away). Double points if they dislike it - versus just being neutral.

Coke. Pepsi. McDonald's. Exxon, Chevron. GM Ford. Smaller local banks like Fifth Third, Regions Finance, Comerica. Bristol Meyers. PG. May add JPM soon.

This smaller account I'm not scared to see. It looks ok these days. I know I will miss opportunities here and there - oh well, better men than I can enjoy the money - with any luck, spend it on a Big Mac or shaving cream.

I agree. I am 40% US Equity 20% non-US equity 25% bonds, 5% real estate, 5% commodities, and 5% cash. Maybe it's because in this market everything is bouncing around the same, but my AA hasn't really been impacted -- market goes us/market goes down but none of it is getting out of whack and no major rebalance needed. I am fairly comfortable over an extended period and don't sweat the volatility. Backtested this is CAGR 8.2%, STDev 11.6%, 1.3 Sharpe Ratio. Lets me sleep at night.

Nothing wrong with 40%, but why not just VTSAX/VTI or similar index fund? Simple and frees up time for other activities. like posting here.

Yes for boring!
It has been at least ten years since I did any account investment changes.
Can't recall what the mix is. And don't feel like digging through the paperwork.
The configuration allowed me buy my recent near $70K used car, which I consider having gotten free, result of dividends and other account gains.
Yes am blowing my nieces' inheritence, :LOL: more to go.

40% equity position might feel good short term, but if you want or need growth long term you best have a fat account to last 20-30-40 years at that level.

Last year, the title was: who is 100% equities in retirement.

In the 2008 great recession I was caught with too many equities and not enough cash and lost sleep. Since then I have reduced my equities and increased my cash portion. Now at age 70 I don't even look at the stock market does on a daily basis and I am sleeping well.

40% equity position might feel good short term, but if you want or need growth long term you best have a fat account to last 20-30-40 years at that level.

It all depends--if you are older (like me age 70) then 40% may be just right. If you have plenty of assets and don't believe you will ever outlive them then 40% may be just right. Everyone's situation is different.

It all depends--if you are older (like me age 70) then 40% may be just right. If you have plenty of assets and don't believe you will ever outlive them then 40% may be just right. Everyone's situation is different.

I agree. Everyone's situation is different. What are your goals? Stable income or growth for the next generation? This impacts many decisions such as AA or when to take SS. Personally I disclose these items not as a recommendation but rather a point of reference. Also there are many other variables such as pensions and potential windfalls to be considered.

Everyone needs to figure it out for themselves. This forum is a great start but really a small part of the big picture.

Back
Top Bottom