Living Your Best Life

I like to garden.
Plated are grilled onions, snow peas, sweet red and yellow peppers, mushrooms and chicken. Seasoned with fresh basil, oregano and rosemary. I grew it all.
The flowers are surrounding ultra dwarf fruit trees.

Attachments

• IMG_20240525_180808002.jpg
    IMG_20240525_180808002.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240528_135525277_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240528_135525277_HDR.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240516_174757123_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240516_174757123_HDR.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 22
I like to garden.
Plated are grilled onions, snow peas, sweet red and yellow peppers, mushrooms and chicken. Seasoned with fresh basil, oregano and rosemary. I grew it all.
The flowers are surrounding ultra dwarf fruit trees.
What do you do with all your produce? Can you eat it all or do you share/sell what you don't use?

Travel, photography, spend on what I want.

Focusing more on family/others than on myself has provided the most reward.
I love being able to spend lots of time with grandchildren and to help their parents and my own parent.
Appreciate and give thanks for every day, staying active/exercise, and hope for continued good health.

I used to think I had to accomplish something every day. Now, a long walk in nature contemplating memories, people, experiences, and how they've shaped my attitude today. We share a lot with our neighbors and family. Gardening. Volunteering. Connecting with the community. Work limits all of those valuable things. Stress is bad. I've reconnected with high school friends. Interesting how little we have changed. I love movies and series that challenge my beliefs. I lost my religion. Trusting the universe is my religion. Learned not to be so judgemental. Everyone has a different path.

Last year I had my balcony enclosed in glass windows with screens and it’s the best 7k I’ve ever spent. I start each day having coffee and reading while looking at the beautiful courtyard. I end each day the same way with the windows open to enjoy the breeze. My dogs love watching the birds and squirrels.

We take a daily walk and some days I have commitments and some are free. I see one of my sons and some of my friends every week. It’s a very relaxing time of life.

What do you do with all your produce? Can you eat it all or do you share/sell what you don't use?
I give a lot of it to my family, some I put in the dehydrator and vac seal in jars for gifts, some I freeze. But a lot I put on a table up at the mailbox with a sign that says to help yourself and if you feel like donating to the garden, drop anything in the mailbox. I actually discovered I get more return letting people decide to pay or not than to set a price and sell the stuff. Besides, I hated having to set up to meet anyone, too much time out of my day. I wanted to go to the local farmer's market held on Saturdays, but they actually charge folks to do that, so no. Last year I kinda peeved them off when I parked offsite from the farmers market, opened my car's hatch back and put a sign offering to trade veggies for eggs, honey or other products. I was on the public street, not selling anything where there's an exchange of money, so technically not breaking any laws.
Things have changed locally, it used to be the county encouraged 'gentlemen farmers', but the bigger farms all got together, formed a coalition and branded themselves as 'Apple Hill' and are jealous when mom and pop decide to sell their excess produce. Truth: they even ran off kids with little fruit and veggie stands trying to make a little spending money from doing their gardening chores! I had to shake my head over that one.
Here's a photo from March of last year just after I planted the ultra dwarf fruit trees. Same area in my last post with the flowers. BTW, those flowers were a bag of seeds I bought from Home Depot for around $7. After I put in the lawn, I thought the area looked a little sparse with a bark bed and trees. So I just spread the seeds on top of the bark chips and hoped the birds wouldn't eat them all. Obviously those flowers loved the medium!
er2.jpg

These are some of the tomatoes ready for the dehydrator:
er1.jpg

A view of the flowers from a distance. They are in the center of this photo to the rear of the house. This is a view from the South side of our place. I started this landscaping/garden project in March of 2020 when COVID hit. In July I was diagnosed with a blood cancer and started my chemo treatments, wiping out my immune system. Not a good thing when there's a pandemic no one has any idea how to treat at the time. Fortunately, businesses that provide home improvement products were allowed to stay open and I needed to keep busy instead of focusing on my illness, so I started gardening and building.
er3.jpg

Skip, Apple Hill is really a beautiful area especially in the fall. For many years we went there yearly for a 3 day weekend.

The last time we stayed at a women’s house that was retired and her son made a one bedroom apartment with it’s own entrance to pay for her fire insurance which had skyrocketed after what happened in Paradise, CA. It was nice to have such a beautiful place to stay but sad for the reason she was doing it.

To live my best life, I do whatever tickles my fancy. This week, I have some pickleball drills and games set up. Went to a musical last night with DH. Will be going to a Japanese restaurant for lunch with a friend tomorrow. Another outing (restaurant) Friday night after pickleball.

Skip, Apple Hill is really a beautiful area especially in the fall. For many years we went there yearly for a 3 day weekend.

The last time we stayed at a women’s house that was retired and her son made a one bedroom apartment with it’s own entrance to pay for her fire insurance which had skyrocketed after what happened in Paradise, CA. It was nice to have such a beautiful place to stay but sad for the reason she was doing it.
Yes, it's beautiful, but has turned too commercial over the years. Back in the 70's and 80's were the best times. High Hill Ranch had a helicopter. For $5 the guy would take you up over the area for a 15 minute tour. Ha! Now it's all 'crafts' booths, trinkets and produce resold from the big corporation farms in the valley.
Best to go on weekdays instead of weekends.
Fire Insurance? What's that? We were dropped after the Caldor Fire 2 years ago. The state's plan, called The Fair Plan, costs over $1,000 a month for just fire, no other coverage.
Electric rates are now 43 cents a kwh. Fortunately, I installed solar. They actually owe me as of right now, but that will change when we need to run the air conditioner later this summer. My neighbors pay well over $800 a month to the electric company. Water is also metered with a flat $30 a month plus whatever volume you use. Average is around $100 a month for water.
I'm sorry, I am on a rant this morning. I have a dentist appointment today...
electric1.jpg

Yes, it's beautiful, but has turned too commercial over the years. Back in the 70's and 80's were the best times. High Hill Ranch had a helicopter. For $5 the guy would take you up over the area for a 15 minute tour. Ha! Now it's all 'crafts' booths, trinkets and produce resold from the big corporation farms in the valley.
Fire Insurance? What's that? We were dropped after the Caldor Fire 2 years ago. The state's plan, called The Fair Plan, costs over $1,000 a month for just fire, no other coverage.
Electric rates are now 43 cents a kwh. Fortunately, I installed solar. They actually owe me as of right now, but that will change when we need to run the air conditioner later this summer. My neighbors pay well over $800 a month to the electric company. Water is also metered with a flat $30 a month plus whatever volume you use. Average is around $100 a month for water.
View attachment 51208
I didn’t move to Reno until 97 and first went there in 98. Once we retired we quit going on weekends and went during the week although not everything was open during the week. The Airbnb host we stayed with was in 2019 so no clue if she still has fire insurance. I haven’t went since my divorce.

View attachment 51208
Wow! I thought we had it bad, paying for electricity. We're around 40 cents/Kwh - depending on how you add in the various fudge factors. The good news is that with our trade winds and orientation of our condo, we don't need AC.

Wow! I thought we had it bad, paying for electricity. We're around 40 cents/Kwh - depending on how you add in the various fudge factors. The good news is that with our trade winds and orientation of our condo, we don't need AC.
Gas is also higher in California than Hawaii. My wife went to Jamba Juice the other day. A small drink was $10. I have no idea how families can afford it any more. So glad I took good advice when I was 27, to start saving for retirement.

Gas is also higher in California than Hawaii. My wife went to Jamba Juice the other day. A small drink was $10. I have no idea how families can afford it any more. So glad I took good advice when I was 27, to start saving for retirement.
Yes, that's always puzzled me that gas costs more in California than Hawaii. Of course, most of our oil comes from non-USA sources and then gets refined on Oahu. Last I paid at Costco Gas on Oahu was $4.30. Here in the heartland, it's been $3.50 or so. I can actually fill my tank here for less than (well, JUST less than) $50!

I really do feel sorry for folks in areas where gas goes to $6 or more. How do w*rking people afford that?

I give a lot of it to my family, some I put in the dehydrator and vac seal in jars for gifts, some I freeze. But a lot I put on a table up at the mailbox with a sign that says to help yourself and if you feel like donating to the garden, drop anything in the mailbox. I actually discovered I get more return letting people decide to pay or not than to set a price and sell the stuff. Besides, I hated having to set up to meet anyone, too much time out of my day. I wanted to go to the local farmer's market held on Saturdays, but they actually charge folks to do that, so no. Last year I kinda peeved them off when I parked offsite from the farmers market, opened my car's hatch back and put a sign offering to trade veggies for eggs, honey or other products. I was on the public street, not selling anything where there's an exchange of money, so technically not breaking any laws.
Things have changed locally, it used to be the county encouraged 'gentlemen farmers', but the bigger farms all got together, formed a coalition and branded themselves as 'Apple Hill' and are jealous when mom and pop decide to sell their excess produce. Truth: they even ran off kids with little fruit and veggie stands trying to make a little spending money from doing their gardening chores! I had to shake my head over that one.
Here's a photo from March of last year just after I planted the ultra dwarf fruit trees. Same area in my last post with the flowers. BTW, those flowers were a bag of seeds I bought from Home Depot for around $7. After I put in the lawn, I thought the area looked a little sparse with a bark bed and trees. So I just spread the seeds on top of the bark chips and hoped the birds wouldn't eat them all. Obviously those flowers loved the medium!
View attachment 51203

These are some of the tomatoes ready for the dehydrator:
View attachment 51204

A view of the flowers from a distance. They are in the center of this photo to the rear of the house. This is a view from the South side of our place. I started this landscaping/garden project in March of 2020 when COVID hit. In July I was diagnosed with a blood cancer and started my chemo treatments, wiping out my immune system. Not a good thing when there's a pandemic no one has any idea how to treat at the time. Fortunately, businesses that provide home improvement products were allowed to stay open and I needed to keep busy instead of focusing on my illness, so I started gardening and building.
View attachment 51207
Beautiful place and gardening is fun for us also. We enjoy the fruits of our labor and is so cool just to go out and pick and have a meal.

I always enjoy seeing your yard and beautiful setting.

Back
Top Bottom