Looking for a new tire inflator

Couple of reasons to avoid gas station.

1. Gauges are usually in error

2. Main reason, you are suppose to measure your tire air pressure with the tires "cold". Driving to the station will heat up your tires.

Well, we're definitely on different wavelengths. I partied all weekend, did the first class's homework at breakfast Monday morning, and did the rest of them in the class before it while paying half @ssed attention to the lecture. :LOL:

Now that's what I call multi-tasking :LOL:

Couple of reasons to avoid gas station.

1. Gauges are usually in error

2. Main reason, you are suppose to measure your tire air pressure with the tires "cold". Driving to the station will heat up your tires.

Good point on both.

Is there a reason you can't just put air in the tires at the service station? For free, or at most a quarter? I can see having an emergency inflator with your jumper, but other than that, what's the point? For bike and wheelbarrow tires just use a bike pump. I guess I'm missing the point.

I find the air line is often cut at the local station. Probably someone looking for a metal chuck and a bit of hose to fix their home inflator... :whistle:

Is there a reason you can't just put air in the tires at the service station? For free, or at most a quarter? I can see having an emergency inflator with your jumper, but other than that, what's the point? For bike and wheelbarrow tires just use a bike pump. I guess I'm missing the point.

Around here, it is getting very difficult to find a station with a working compressor. "Service" stations generally don't exist anymore where they simply ran a line off of the shop compressor for convenience of customers. If you find anything, it's likely a 2 or 3 quarter machine that vends air. But mostly I find that with 5 cars in the family, it is more convenient, safer and economical to air up at home. I check pressures semi-reguarly and adjust on the spot rather than trying to remember to do it next time I am near a commercial air source. Some of our cars alert us when the pressure is low and my daughters do a good job of visually checking thier tires. I use a 5 gal portable air tank and a 3/4 hp Craftsman electric compressor to take care of cars, bikes, mowers, etc.

Black an Decker

I like my $40 Black an Decker ASI 300:

Amazon.com: Black & Decker ASI300 Air Station Inflator: Home Improvement

What's cool about it is that it runs on either 12V or 120V, so I threw away my old bicycle pump and inflate my bicycle tires much more often. The downside is that the AC cord is too short so you need an extension cord, and the space where the 12V cord tucks in is too small, so you have to roll it up just so for storage.

I like tools that serve multiple uses, living in a 1 bedroom apartment.

easysurfer said:
Well...I fixed the hose of my tire inflator. I think it works even better now than when brand new :D

Good for you! I always prefer to fix things rather than throw them away and buy new. I just bought one of these a month or so ago. Evidently they were having a lot of trouble with the red plastic dial-looking part that the hose screws into. I think it tended to crack when lateral force was applied to the hose. So they replaced that part with a new one that has an integrated sleeve about 1/2" long where the hose begins, to keep the hose aligned straight with the threads. The part is new, but the documentation with the pump still shows the old one. Still red though.

If you have access to house current I found this unit very useful; Campbell Hausfeld RP420000AV 120 Volt Digital Tire Inflator. About $80 bucks. You set the number on the gauge, hit the button and the tire is inflated to about that level of pressure (by my tire pressure gauge it’s off by about 2 lbs). Quick and easy to use, best I’ve found so far. But, you gotta have the 120 volt current….

Rich

Good for you! I always prefer to fix things rather than throw them away and buy new. I just bought one of these a month or so ago. Evidently they were having a lot of trouble with the red plastic dial-looking part that the hose screws into. I think it tended to crack when lateral force was applied to the hose. So they replaced that part with a new one that has an integrated sleeve about 1/2" long where the hose begins, to keep the hose aligned straight with the threads. The part is new, but the documentation with the pump still shows the old one. Still red though.

Yeah. I like to fix things to. One good thing is that way I know more how it works and how it's put together. Thx for the info about the red plastic part. I didn't know these were problematic too. Only read about trouble with the chuck. Also, don't know if it's common or not, but with my inflator, if left outside in a cold trunk, the digital display needs to be brought inside to warm up
for about 30 minutes or so before that works. After that, it works fine.

If you have access to house current I found this unit very useful; Campbell Hausfeld RP420000AV 120 Volt Digital Tire Inflator. About $80 bucks. You set the number on the gauge, hit the button and the tire is inflated to about that level of pressure (by my tire pressure gauge it’s off by about 2 lbs). Quick and easy to use, best I’ve found so far. But, you gotta have the 120 volt current….

Rich

That looks like a nice inflator. I was looking in the one similar, but a 12V model.

I'm noticing inflators. Here's one that seems to be what I'd be looking for:

Ryobi 12 Volt Inflator + Power Supply + Worklight - YN500A at The Home Depot

It analog and not digital. But other than that, cordless or 12V option, can recharge by 120V, includes flashlight, auto PSI shut off.

I almost have "fixer's remorse" (as opposed to buyer's remorse).

So, I'm in Home Depot today and couldn't help but take a look at this inflator. From what I see, I don't think it has auto PSI shut off.

Upon leaving, a worker there says, did you look at the inflator on sale? I say, ok...it's this one:

Ryobi 12-Volt Inflator/Deflator with Flashlight - YN600A at The Home Depot

For about $10..a great price. This one does have auto shut off but isn't cordless.

I'm happiest still with the one that I fixed. But it's tempting to return the portable Slime one I got and Walmart and then get the $10 at Home Depot.

Back
Top Bottom