Loss of an engineering marvel

ArmchairMillionaire23

Recycles dryer sheets
I know there are a few aviation enthusiasts here on this site. I just read this:
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/antonov-an-225-largest-plane-destroyed-ukraine-scli-intl/index.html

This plane was massive. It was engineered in the USSR at the end of the cold war but built in the Ukraine. It had 6 engines, 32 wheels, and a payload of over 550,000 lbs.

225-1.jpg

The damage is unknown at this time. Hopefully it can be rebuilt using parts from the second one planned that never was finished. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/antonov-an-225-kiev-ukraine/index.html

OMG! This is terrible. It's an engineering marvel - it transports things no other aircraft can.

I'm sorry to hear of the magnificent airplane being destroyed. It's often seen flying into Huntsville Airport where it often would sit for a day or two. It was last here a few weeks ago.

We have no idea what large and expensive items were being flown into and out of Huntsville. As the Rocket City, the cargo was probably some kind of armaments, missiles, helicopters, rocket stages or ? ? ? It's ironic that a Russian airplane would be hauling around items of war for the U.S. Government or NASA.

In the future, the C-5's and Boeing 747 freighters will probably be hauling what they can handle. One private owned 747 is in route here tonight from Luxembourg. I do expect to see an upswing in U.S. Air Force and Army flights into this airport in the upcoming week.

This plane was used for GOOD, all the time, delivering required food/water etc etc to places needing help ASAP. Won't get into the political side of the PUTZ's but hope world gives him some karma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The owners of the jet said in an interview that they will rebuild it--at a cost of about $3B and that Russia will pay.

Interesting... at one time I interviewed for a job here with that company.... did not know what they did at first, but they wanted an US presence...

They do have other big planes, but only one of these...

That aircraft has done some truly incredible jobs in its lifetime.

I was briefly involved with the USAF C-5A for a while, and that was also kind of amazing, but the Antonov 225 had almost twice the payload.

I too was saddened to learn of the damage/destruction (depending on the source) of that airplane. Hopefully it can and will be repaired.

I'm sorry to hear of the magnificent airplane being destroyed. It's often seen flying into Huntsville Airport where it often would sit for a day or two. It was last here a few weeks ago.

We have no idea what large and expensive items were being flown into and out of Huntsville. As the Rocket City, the cargo was probably some kind of armaments, missiles, helicopters, rocket stages or ? ? ? It's ironic that a Russian airplane would be hauling around items of war for the U.S. Government or NASA.

In the future, the C-5's and Boeing 747 freighters will probably be hauling what they can handle. One private owned 747 is in route here tonight from Luxembourg. I do expect to see an upswing in U.S. Air Force and Army flights into this airport in the upcoming week.

I flew a couple of missions into Huntsville on the C-5 a number of years ago. I don't recall what we picked up, but it was space related. As far as the Antonov is concerned, it was fascinating to tour the -225 and compare it to the C-5. It was bigger, but technologically...it was pretty dated. A couple fellas I flew with in the AF work for them in Houston.

BTW, why would they have left it in Ukraine? War was a very real possibility and it should have been moved someplace safe...

Bad planning IMO

BTW, why would they have left it in Ukraine? War was a very real possibility and it should have been moved someplace safe...

Bad planning IMO

Much like other engineering "marvels", it was not a very reliable airplane and wasn't flyable.

The article said an engine was out and being serviced, They were probably waiting on parts just like the rest of the world... (Supply chain issues)

Much like other engineering "marvels", it was not a very reliable airplane and wasn't flyable.

Hmmm, wonder if it was one engine or many....

I would think it would be able to fly on even 4 engines if nothing inside... but if it was truly not able to fly that is different...

Hmmm, wonder if it was one engine or many....

I would think it would be able to fly on even 4 engines if nothing inside... but if it was truly not able to fly that is different...

I am almost certain that it was more than "just an engine" that was having an issue, otherwise I am pretty certain they would have gotten it out of there. Ferrying airplanes with an inoperative engine is fairly common (single engine being the exception, of course) and I did it a few times on the C-5. It's really not that big of a deal.

It's toast:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17842982/worlds-biggest-plane-burnt-wreck-russians-kyiv/

Click through the stills too, not all the pics are prominent in the story.

As to why didn't they fly it out, regardless, remember that many Ukrainians, including the official government line, was that an invasion wouldn't actually happen, that it was a big Putin bluff to try to gain concessions. And remember Putin's lies, that keep coming and coming...

Looks like toast to me also...

But with something that valuable I would not have taken the chance....

Putin has invaded twice before after an olympics and I had been telling my DW he was going to make it a third time after this one...

Probably not worth it to rebuild if it is the many billions mentioned...

Seems like the destruction was simply to show that they could destroy it. I hope there is some karma balancing ahead.

My DIL (who should know) tells me that the Antinov was the only aircraft that could carry the larger satellites. Also, the maintenance facilities are located in Kiev and they require frequent specialized maintenance. She said the c5a wouldn't accommodate the larger satellites and there is also an issue that some satellites require a pressurized cargo area. They are trying to come up with an alternative, including using boats, but there many problems with that too.

My DIL (who should know) tells me that the Antinov was the only aircraft that could carry the larger satellites. Also, the maintenance facilities are located in Kiev and they require frequent specialized maintenance. She said the c5a wouldn't accommodate the larger satellites and there is also an issue that some satellites require a pressurized cargo area. They are trying to come up with an alternative, including using boats, but there many problems with that too.

Hmmm. SO did the Russians use the Antinov to transport their satellites? If so, how sad.:angel::LOL:

I would have to dig out my old flight manuals to figure out the dimensions, but the AF has two C-5s that have an increased cargo compartment (called "SCM birds" or space cargo modified) area with the deletion of the aft troop compartments. They are used extensively for satellite deployments and the cargo compartment is pressurized (as are all C-5s). Granted it's not as big as the -225 compartment was, but it is fairly large. Next time I am in the attic, I will dig out my manuals and take a gander. :)

Last edited:

We live on the Tennessee River, and we're downriver about 40 miles from United Launch Alliance. We see their self propelled ocean going barges all the time hauling heavy launch rockets down to Cape Canaveral along the Tenn/Tombigbee Waterway thru Mobile. It's pretty interesting.

I’m not an aviation buff, but I am aware of some of the notable cargoes the Antonov carried, and the destruction is a sad development.

Back
Top Bottom