"Lost in mail" I-bond was just delivered

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I used $5000 of my 2021 IRS tax refund to buy five $1000 paper I-bonds in my name.

Four paper I-bonds arrived in early May, a few weeks after I filed my taxes. One bond never arrived. I could tell which one was missing as the five I-bonds were consecutively numbered and the one ending in -77 was missing.

I researched a bit online and waited the recommended number of weeks for the missing bond to arrive. When it still hadn't arrived, I sent an email on June 3 to Treasury Direct stating that one of the five I-bonds never arrived, and to please reissue a replacement $1000 I-bond in my name to replace the missing -77 bond.

Well, as luck would have it, I just received a paper bond in the mail, ending in -77. I'm assuming it's the original (aka "lost in mail") one, but who knows?

I quickly sent a follow-up email to Treasury Direct explaining that the missing I-bond had just been delivered, and to cancel my request for a replacement.

Now I'm stumped. As Treasury Direct doesn't seem to respond, I'm wondering if this is sufficient notice, or should I be doing something else to let them know I have received ALL five bonds?

Suggestions? Ideas?

omni

I used $5000 of my 2021 IRS tax refund to buy five $1000 paper I-bonds in my name.

Four paper I-bonds arrived in early May, a few weeks after I filed my taxes. One bond never arrived. I could tell which one was missing as the five I-bonds were consecutively numbered and the one ending in -77 was missing.

I researched a bit online and waited the recommended number of weeks for the missing bond to arrive. When it still hadn't arrived, I sent an email on June 3 to Treasury Direct stating that one of the five I-bonds never arrived, and to please reissue a replacement $1000 I-bond in my name to replace the missing -77 bond.

Well, as luck would have it, I just received a paper bond in the mail, ending in -77. I'm assuming it's the original (aka "lost in mail") one, but who knows?

I quickly sent a follow-up email to Treasury Direct explaining that the missing I-bond had just been delivered, and to cancel my request for a replacement.

Now I'm stumped. As Treasury Direct doesn't seem to respond, I'm wondering if this is sufficient notice, or should I be doing something else to let them know I have received ALL five bonds?

Suggestions? Ideas?

omni

My odds are on you'll get a 6th iBond in about 3 months and no matter what you do, will end up being unable to undo it. In which case, congrats on your $1000 windfall.

I sent 4 EE Savings bonds from my late mother's estate back in March, I just received the proceeds June 15th. I used to cash them at a local bank instantly.

Been doing the $5K from tax refund for years now. Usually what happens is I get a pretty big stack of bonds of varying denominations. This year, for the first time, I received a single $5K bond. Much easier to deal with overall, including tracking on the TD website, after the conversion.

Usually takes about 2-3 weeks after I send them to TD for conversion to electronic form. Took about 3 months this year due to a backlog at TD.

Back
Top Bottom