Lower AL/FLA gulf coast - snowbirding 2020?

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
I had given up my lease earlier this year in anticipation of travelling in 2020 and ultimately retiring to Florida.

Due to the current complications of travel, I have decided to look for a short term rental instead - 4-6 months and likely the gulf coast of Florida or Alabama.

I've started looking around.....it's a crowded field - so the good thing is there appears to be a good selection, the harder part is weeding through them and avoiding scammers.

Any recommendations for a website to look for rentals and/or a particular beach town more suitable for snowbirds? THANKS

PS/ I realize it won't be as warm there as southern FLA, I actually prefer the more low key nature of FLA in winter.

VRBO would work. There are probably some local realtors who specialize in rentals. Do a search for “vacation rentals in Destin Florida” or wherever and there should be some options.

In times like these I'd probably look for a local rental agency or a local realtor. With that long of a stay you should still have pricing power.

To help narrow things down are you more concerned with budget or beach....I have ex family that has a nice place on Santa Rosa Beach that they really seem to enjoy.

We spent 6 winters in the Gulf Shores area. The first two years we went through VRBO and stayed on Fort Morgan (DH has PTSD and prefers not to have too many people around and we don't mind driving 15-20 minutes to town). The middle two years we went through Reed Realty and stayed on Fort Morgan. If there is a lot of rain the road past the Reed Realty office on Fort Morgan can get impassable. The last 2 years we stayed up near Fairhope. No beach, but a neat town, and still driveable to Gulf Shores and Orange Beach.

A good friend recently recommended Meyer Realty. She and her family rent for a week or two through them each summer. She says they have never been disappointed.

I looked at the Meyer website and they had 114 available from November 1, 2020-March 1, 2021. (I made up the date range to see if anything would pop up.)

The last 2 years we stayed up near Fairhope. No beach, but a neat town, and still driveable to Gulf Shores and Orange Beach.

That is a good tip. Fairhope is one of those towns that has been mentioned as a possible retirement destination in various articles. Lots of good restaurants in the area. And as you said....not that far from the AL beaches. I have thought about selling my Orange Beach condo and house in MS to relocate there. Still might do it but satisfied with my current setup at the moment.

So we own a condo at Gulf Shores. Love it.

Snowbird season has been booked every year and is a great deal and a great time to hang out. Here is a local property management firm. Go enjoy.

Luna Beach Properties

lunabeachproperties.com

Back
Top Bottom