Lower Back Pain

bank5

Recycles dryer sheets
I've strained my back a couple of times in the same spot. The pain is in my lower back about three inches to the right of my spine. It's right around the back of my hip bone. I should probably start stretching more, especially before playing sports, and start sleeping on my back.

Has anyone injured there back or have back pain in the same spot? Any recommendations for how to make it better?

I've strained my back a couple of times in the same spot. The pain is in my lower back about three inches to the right of my spine. It's right around the back of my hip bone. I should probably start stretching more, especially before playing sports, and start sleeping on my back.

Has anyone injured there back or have back pain in the same spot? Any recommendations for how to make it better?

I know that spot...

Muscle relaxers!

I had a lot of stuff like this going on when I had RSI (repetitive strain jury) in my upper body from sitting in a chair all day under high mental stress. I found great relief with those long time (up to 8 hours) air-activated heat thingies you see in the drugstore. The neck ones actually fit almost anywhere and are cheaper.
A chiropractor who did deep muscle massage was also my lifesaver.
Hope it feels better.

Is it an aching kind of pain or is it stabbing? Throbbing? Does it feel like a muscle strain or something more like a pinched nerve?

Yes, that's exactly where my pain is which is apparently due to arthritis of the spine. I take muscle relaxers and it is very important not to stay in the same position very long, get up and move around. I also sit on a "neck pillow" and use a very firm pillow at the lower back. I try to get in as much walking as I can and keep it just below the duration that wipes me out. I plan to join a gym for the swimming pool soon.

Bank5, I suggest that you have it evaluated to see exactly what it is, are you sure it was strained twice? I also thought that might be my situation because the pain came on very suddenly, but it wasn't a strain.

I had recurrent back pain from the time I was 30. I always thought it was spinal or back muscle pain, until the time I ended up in the ER room, p*ss*ng blood. X-ray pics confirmed kidney stones, which I passed unassisted but with much pain. They said it hurt like women's labor, but I just toughed it out. Every since, I learned to drink a lot of water. The kidney stones are still recurring from time to time, and a few times even cause bleeding.

Yep, I have had chronic lower back pain going on for at least the past four years. Had X-Rays, chiropractic care, massage, need to try and get back into my Pilates class.... :whistle:

The chiropractor said one of my problems is I actually have a bone that is supposed to move that seems to be intermitant in it's success. :confused: When it acts up I can't even bend over. No real pain unless I try to move! :rolleyes: I feel that the bone doesn't move because the muscles won't let it...everything is just way to tight.

I have found stretching (pilates spin off's) help plus I stumbled into an exercise where you use the arm of your couch and lay on the floor with your knees over the arm. Raise your rear off the floor a wee bit and ocillate your hips around and up and down...repeat for 10 minutes or so and you can feel stuff releasing. There is an actual "device" on the market (mixed reviews) that this exercise is derived from. I was too cheap to buy it.

Where as I have not fixed everything, I think it is getting better and exercise of the core muscles was...and is....what seemed to help the most. The pills just aren't good for you IMO....gets in the way of serious beer drinking -n- stuff! :LOL:

Is it an aching kind of pain or is it stabbing? Throbbing? Does it feel like a muscle strain or something more like a pinched nerve?

It's more soreness and tightness than throbbing. When I bend at the waist it sends a shooting pain. I haven't had any tingling or numbness so I don't think it's a pinch nerve but maybe it's close to a nerve and that's why I get the shooting pain? It's below the lower muscles in my back. It's right next to where the back of my pelvis bone sticks out (about waist high, 3 inches to the right of my spine).

I usually aggravate it from playing sports. In the past it seems to go away after a couple of days but it's caused some on and off discomfort for about a week now.

Bank5, I suggest that you have it evaluated to see exactly what it is, are you sure it was strained twice? I also thought that might be my situation because the pain came on very suddenly, but it wasn't a strain.

I plan on seeing a chiropractor the next time it flares up. Or the slight discomfort that I feel now doesn't go away in the next couple of days I'll go see the doc. I've been kind of lazy about stretching before playing sports so I'm sure getting into a stretching routine and maybe some yoga will help.

I'm still pretty you (late 20's) but man, the sports related injuries are already taking a lot longer to heal than when I was in my teens.

Just read an excellent article on back pain and its treatment

The Back Story

I relate to it very much having been a back pain sufferer for about 25 years :(

I've had flare ups in that same spot for over 20 years. My problems are due to various sports injuries.

When I have a flare up now, it's really just time that seems to heel best. I also try to keep a heating pad on the pain as well.

I find that leg position has a lot to do with my comfort level when my back is killing me. Keep your knees bent as much as possible when sitting or laying down.

I feel for you.

Thanks for your input. Hopefully it will only flare up once in a while and doesn't become a more consistent problem.

I noticed the exact same thing about keeping my knees bent. If I have to drive after it flares up it become very stiff and sore.

It's in such a strange that it makes me wonder what exactly causes the pain. It's probably just a small muscle back there that gets tweaked.

Mckenzie exercises, that is what works, it's simply stretching in a certain way like lying flat on back and pulling each knee to chest. Rolling over with knees on ground and stretching back like cat.

Look up Mckenzie exercises, helped me with busted disk.

jug

Just read an excellent article on back pain and its treatment

The Back Story

I relate to it very much having been a back pain sufferer for about 25 years :(

Thanks for the link. It makes me less optimistic about treatment. I live in NC so if I need to see a physician I'll try to make an appointment the doctor referenced in the article.

Look up Mckenzie exercises, helped me with busted disk.

Thank jug. I just looked it up and printed out some of the exercises (10 in all?). I'm going to start doing them today.

I've now gone a year without any back pain or strains

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/strained-back-muscle-again-35846.html

It may be luck, or it may be that twice a week I do 20 crunches, 20 supermans, and 16 twisting trunk curls:

TwistingTrunkCurl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom