M1 Finance opinions/experiences?

Happyras

Full time employment: Posting here.
In my search to find another institution to hold cash at 1% return with FDIC coverage, I began looking at M1 Finance. We are maxed out at Marcus with a 1.1% yield FDIC insured.

I follow Lyn Alden, and Paul Merriman, both are affiliates of M1 Finance and share their portfolios held/recommended for M1. On the surface, M1 has no basic fees for holding or trading stocks and ETF's in their street name. They do not hold mutual funds. They can do DRS with a fairly large fee.

In my due diligence I read the finra reports and relationship summary which led me to hesitate moving large amounts to this broker. They make money in a different way than most big houses.

My largest concern was trade executions. They consolidate trades to occur 2x per day, at open and at noon. It appears to me that this is similar to what Fido and Schwab might due on a real time trade, but I think they are actually doing a mini market maker trade which would lead to less favorable results than simply using Fido. Anyone else look at this?

You must have a brokerage account there before you can have a spend account, and that 1% is only available if you pay an annual $125 (free 1 year). Their main advantage may be that ability to execute an entire portfolio trade with a one button rebalance.

Again, what led me there was their 1% checking/debit account yield, which seemed easy until I tried to move funds and found they had daily limits like T-Mobile money, and the only real way to move large amounts was to pay them a wire transfer fee. Then again you can only have single account holders for interest bearing spend accounts, limiting the FDIC coverage without joint holders. They say "beneficiaries' , up to 5, add additional coverage" Not certain that is true from what I read.....

Great for kids or early investors no doubt, but who here:popcorn: has experience positive or negative?

Are you sure that you have exceeded the FDIC limit? IIRC if a married couple had a $500k joint account and each had a $250k individual accounts then $1 million would be insured.

When I read the terms of FDIC insurance on Marcus web site links, it stated that the total per individual at an institution is $250K pp. This is aggregate of all accounts at the one institution. I will go back and get that text and post it if I can find it.
Thanks for your question, it is making me check my memory.

OK this is what Marcus stated, but I believe it could be interpreted 2 ways;
Marcus savings accounts are provided by Goldman Sachs Bank USA. Goldman Sachs Bank USA is an FDIC member, which means that funds deposited in Marcus Online Savings Accounts and CD accounts are insured up to the maximum allowed by law, which is currently $250,000 for all your individually-owned accounts combined, $250,000 per owner for jointly owned accounts and $250,000 per beneficiary for accounts with payable-on-death (POD) designations.

I read it wrong! (also did not see the whole page)

It does say you can do both, but it does not say the max per person. If this were the case you could have several joint accounts with others. The FDIC web site states;
Q: How much deposit insurance coverage do I qualify for?

A: The standard deposit insurance amount is $250,000 per depositor, per FDIC-insured bank, per ownership category.

So you are correct, we could each have separate and one joint account. The only problem is applying the AARP and referral bonuses to get up to 1.1% on each individual account could be an issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom