Marrying for SS survivor's benefits?

Spectrallight, what a romantic and incredibly sad story, with a valuable lesson for all of us to listen too. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the kind response, Live and Learn.

Sadly, all relationships end in some manner. In some ways, being widowed is kinder than many divorces. Or, having any long-term relationship end, by being callously dumped by one's partner (my personal least favorite).

My late husband and I had over six great, healthy years together. We adored one another, had a couple of fabulous trips, and lots of mutual friends.

No regrets. Except for my bonehead decision to sell the Apple stock that late hubby bought in 1992 for $5,000, in 1993. Broker said, "it's not going up from here"

No regrets. Except for my bonehead decision to sell the Apple stock that late hubby bought in 1992 for $5,000, in 1993. Broker said, "it's not going up from here"
If you had brought that question to this forum, we would have told you to sell it too and buy index funds. Unfortunately, there wasn't much in the way of index funds back then and I don't think this forum was here anyway.

So sorry for your loss spectrallight. Sounds like you honored your commitment in a difficult time. I have definitely made a commitment to my SO,married or not, regardless of any ss benefits. But the benefits are worth the consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom