Votes: 51 45.9%
  • 5 to 10

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • 10 to 15

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • More than 15

Votes: 6 5.4%

• Total voters
I'm going off-topic here, on poll construction (and other things) rather than answering the poll itself, so you are forewarned, ignore if you wish ...

Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
But if it was a poll done on this website, the person wouldn't actually have to "say" (speak out loud) "yes" or "no" to answer the poll,...
Very good. As the response was not verbal, the answerer avoided contradicting himself. ...

Something I've been fascinated with for a while now, is how different people respond when challenged. In the above example, you compliment the poster on discovering the hole in what you posted, recognizing that they were clever enough to catch this, and complimenting them on it. IMO, this is the best way to approach this.

If we look back at the other thread, when the contradiction is brought up to the OP, who obviously thought there was only one correct answer, and he had it, the response was to characterize the observation with:

[-]Determined killjoys aren't "we"[/-] Were you able to laugh before you started plotting? Sheeeeeeesh...

And it could perhaps be perceived as being a little cowardly, as they avoided directly quoting the poster they obviously were referring to. So instead of admitting that there was a flaw in their logic, and accepting that pointing it out could be considered humorous in itself (it's not like it was pointed out with a "you dummy!" or anything like that, and included a few references that indicated an attempt at humor - 'chopping down the cherry tree' and 'quantum mechanics'), they decide to disparage the poster as a 'killjoy' with no sense of humor, and a 'plotter' (of what, I do not know)! I guess we have to leave the interpretation of "Sheeeeeeesh..." up to the reader? But it does not sound complimentary to me. ;)

Yes, I find that fascinating. What can I say?

-ERD50

Last edited:
Presumably, though, you were not paying for meals while deployed!

You presume wrong! As an officer, I get a subsistence allowance each month but it doesn't cover 21 weekly meals regardless of whether I'm deployed or not. When deployed, I have to pay for all three meals each day. Now, it's a lot cheaper to eat on a deployed ship than it is at home or (obviously) out, but the food quality is not... uh... good.

No doubt, you must take along bottled lime juice to avoid scurvy. :LOL: OK, done teasing. There is a reason why they call it a "mess."

Now, it's a lot cheaper to eat on a deployed ship than it is at home or (obviously) out, but the food quality is not... uh... good.

And to think, one had always assumed that the desire to escape pettifoggery was a major reason why people long to ER. :facepalm:

I'm going off-topic here, on poll construction (and other things) rather than answering the poll itself, so you are forewarned, ignore if you wish ...

Something I've been fascinated with for a while now, is how different people respond when challenged. In the above example, you compliment the poster on discovering the hole in what you posted, recognizing that they were clever enough to catch this, and complimenting them on it. IMO, this is the best way to approach this.

If we look back at the other thread, when the contradiction is brought up to the OP, who obviously thought there was only one correct answer, and he had it, the response was to characterize the observation with:

And it could perhaps be perceived as being a little cowardly, as they avoided directly quoting the poster they obviously were referring to. So instead of admitting that there was a flaw in their logic, and accepting that pointing it out could be considered humorous in itself (it's not like it was pointed out with a "you dummy!" or anything like that, and included a few references that indicated an attempt at humor - 'chopping down the cherry tree' and 'quantum mechanics'), they decide to disparage the poster as a 'killjoy' with no sense of humor, and a 'plotter' (of what, I do not know)! I guess we have to leave the interpretation of "Sheeeeeeesh..." up to the reader? But it does not sound complimentary to me. ;)

Yes, I find that fascinating. What can I say?

-ERD50

I'm on a mission to reduce my weight and salt intake as a proactive measure, so I am preparing and eating most meals at home. My gardening buddy is influencing me to eat better with more veggies, which I am growing.
I am also doing the foraging method...eat small portions over the course of a day versus eating a lot at one sitting. I trend toward Mediterranean style foods and preparation methods.
I am happily 10 lbs lighter than I was 2 years ago. :dance:

The downfall areas...:LOL:
We both love Buffalo wings and pizza. Both are made at home. I bake the wings versus deep frying. We make killer thin crust NY style pizza.

Mr B will coax me into ordering out for fish fry (him) and fried scallops (me) with French fries and cole slaw on Fridays. Sometimes resistance is futile. :blush:

I get periodic urges for takeout Chinese, shrimp egg fu yung and fried dumplings, to be precise. He likes Italian mixed meat and meatball subs.

The good news...in spite of our cravings, we average 1 takeout and eat-at-home splurge a week.

When I'm at home, I rarely eat out except for social occasions, of which there are several each week. So let's say 2-5 meals out per week.

When I am traveling, of course I eat "out" while on the go. But on some of my trips I stay in suites with full kitchens, and on those trips I make my own meals whenever possible. On my last such vacation, I ate at least 60% of my meals "at home". So say 5-10 for the purposes of your poll.

Since I am at home a lot more than I am away, my guess would be approximately 5 meals per week "out" on average over the course of a year. Unfortunately the number 5 straddles two categories, so I am unable to vote!

This describes me perfectly, so count another non-vote from me.

And to think, one had always assumed that the desire to escape pettifoggery was a major reason why people long to ER. :facepalm:

You call it pettifoggery, I call it observing the human condition. I find it fascinating.

A guy's gotta have a hobby, right? ;)

-ERD50

About pettifoggery, a little bit is fun but we just have to keep from getting too involved in it.

Back on eating out, as said, we are not too interested in going out to have hamburger, steak, or Chinese fried rice that we can do at home. Occasionally I have an urge for things that take too much work at home or I cannot do myself, such as French duck confit, Chinese roast duck noodle soup, or Greek gyro meat.

At home, I often try dishes that would be tough to find a local restaurant that serves them. For example, for Father's Day I made Moroccan spiced grilled beef and everybody thought it was good. I am looking to do Portuguese Piri Piri grilled chicken next.

I eat breakfast and lunch "out" five days per week, i.e. at w*rk, but I bring the food from home.

In a "normal" week, I'll eat out, as in at a restaurant of some sort, maybe 2-3 times.

I am eating out much less since I quit wor*king, but this probably isn't due to the fact that I quit working, but much more to do with that I moved and I don't have any friends here to socialize with yet. Anyway, one thing I've noticed is that I don't eat as much *undesirable* food (food at restaurants tends to be more salty/greasy/sweeter/carb-y to me...) or over stuff myself now that I hardly go out to eat. It's easier on the pocket book too. I still do eat occasional cr*ppy fast food if I am driving for errands and get hungery...

Last edited:
Now that I am retired I only eat lunch out about once a month in a normal month (meaning not traveling or hosting visitors at home). When I was working I ate lunch out with co-workers maybe 2-3 times a week. Restaurant dinners for me nowadays average about twice a month, usually after a play or movie or a hen-session with friends. Like some others here I prefer to prepare my own simple meals at home mainly for health and portion-control reasons. I am not big on restaurant leftovers for whatever reason but happily eat leftovers that I have prepared myself.

Back
Top Bottom