Medicare

jfn111

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I think I have this figured out but...
I'm turning 65 in May and my retiree health care becomes the supplemental to Medicare. I will need to apply for Medicare 3 months prior to my birthday so in January or February?
My current healthcare says it terminates on the last day of the month prior to the month I turn 65. So Medicare takes over for the entire month I turn 65 even though my birthday is the middle of the month?
I won't be collecting SS yet so I setup an automatic debit from the bank account to pay the premiums?
Thanks for any guidance. :cool:

Yes Medicare starts the 1st day of your birthday month. Unless your birthday is the 1st then it starts the previous month.

.......I won't be collecting SS yet so I setup an automatic debit from the bank account to pay the premiums?
Check out "EasyPay" on the Medicare website. That's what I use. Automatic ETF. And then every month, they then send me the "bill that's not a bill" in the mail, to use as a receipt.

Check out "EasyPay" on the Medicares iwebsite. That's what I use. Automatic ETF. And then every month, they then send me the "bill that's not a bill" in the mail, to use as a receipt.

so when you start collecting social security and your medicare bill gets deducted from your social security your automatic ETF is automatically cancelled?

Will your supplement give you Part D coverage?

Will your supplement give you Part D coverage?

According to the information that my former employer sent all I'm supposed to sign up for is Part A and B. I'll remain on their prescription drug plan.

so when you start collecting social security and your medicare bill gets deducted from your social security your automatic ETF is automatically cancelled?
I really don't know. My plan, still on track, is to file for SS at 70, so have not thought about that issue. There might be something about that on the Medicare website. I have found using an external search engine to be more helpful than using the Search function on the Medicare website.

Recalling here - several people have reported the Easypay to SS transition. There may have been a refund for that transition month, but it works out.

We billpay from the HSA. Apparently a physical check is sent. So far Medicare has credited our payment within 2 weeks.

I followed the instructions for online bill payment from Medicare.gov. This page explains that there a four ways to pay premiums:
https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/pay-part-a-part-b-premiums

Last edited:
In my situation I had retiree employee insurance for my wife and I until Medicare last year. In order to keep my wife on my employee insurance I had to take their secondary policy + buy a supplemental policy. Theirs was only $16/month for me and regular price for my wife. I was told by Boomer Benefits that it wasn't allowed to have a secondary + supplement. But my employee said all their retirees do this. It's worked out fine for the last 2 years.

I think I have this figured out but...
I'm turning 65 in May and my retiree health care becomes the supplemental to Medicare. I will need to apply for Medicare 3 months prior to my birthday so in January or February?
My current healthcare says it terminates on the last day of the month prior to the month I turn 65. So Medicare takes over for the entire month I turn 65 even though my birthday is the middle of the month?
I won't be collecting SS yet so I setup an automatic debit from the bank account to pay the premiums?
Yup much like you, next year DW (who is older than me), will go onto Medicare and Megacorp retiree HC. When reviewing this year's materials during annual enrollment, I see that she will have a choice of supplementals; a Medicare Advantage PPO and a Medicare Complimentary policy. The Advantage PPO seems to have more favorable copays, but I see our monthly co-pay premiums are lower for it, as well(?). I guess it has more restrictions on in-Network choices (?). We will almost certainly go with the slightly higher premium choice, as I would prefer more In-Network selection.

Back
Top Bottom