Meet my new service animal: we fly first class

From the article:

"On March 15, the federal government tightened its definition of what constitutes a service animal as part of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The new classification sanctions only dogs and in some cases, miniature horses."

I'm planning to write a very sternly worded letter to my Congressman about this. Only dogs and miniature horses? Why can't Bob be a service animal too?;)

Attachments

• Bobby1.JPG
    Bobby1.JPG
    449.7 KB · Views: 8
I think I need to move to Cali so I can light up a big, old "medical" spliff and watch my service animals frolic.

JaNelle's service dog Rex helps her tragically overweight daughter maintain a health level of exercise as JaNelle is no longer able.

bL6SQ.jpg

JaNelle's service dog Rex helps her tragically overweight daughter maintain a health level of exercise as JaNelle is no longer able.

bL6SQ.jpg

That is just so wrong....I'm crying I'm laughing so hard!

Only in CA! Although I'm happy when the tea party is defeated.

Although I'm happy when the tea party is defeated.

Sorry to burst your bubble. but this is just another example of stupid governmental legislation, not the referendum on the tea party you are trying to spin it into. Nice try, though. :rolleyes:

Michael Vick's new court-appointed service dog...:whistle:

Attachments

• every dog has it's day.jpg
    every dog has it's day.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 5
I think I need to move to Cali so I can light up a big, old "medical" spliff and watch my service animals frolic.
I have thought about this as well - still haven't ruled it out.

Sorry to burst your bubble. but this is just another example of stupid governmental legislation, not the referendum on the tea party you are trying to spin it into. Nice try, though. :rolleyes:

Which was the stupid legislation? The feds limiting what can be service animals? Or the local government allowing service animals to include rats that were demonstrated to provide early warning of a seizure?

Which was the stupid legislation? The feds limiting what can be service animals? Or the local government allowing service animals to include rats that were demonstrated to provide early warning of a seizure?

OK, you win. Anyone's household pet should be immediately reclassified as a "service animal" at the owners request and discretion and people should be allowed to bring them wherever they want, whenever they want. :cool:

Horses, reptiles, snakes, birds, rats, chimpanzees, lions, tigers and bears, no animal left behind! Bring your grunting, snuffling potbellied pig to your favorite restaurant, and feed it from the table. Your asocial pet raccoon should be able to sit right next to you on the bus. Take your pet howler monkey to the opera, he'll delight the fellow patrons! A 12-foot python makes a great airplane traveling companion, especially if he's trying to get to know the service rat seated next to him a little better.

When these newly classified service animals make a mess, attack someone they perceive as a threat, trigger a panic attack or an allergic reaction, whatever, oh well... they're now "service animals" , not pets. so get over it, John Q. Public.

We have reasonable federal regs in place for service dogs, where do you draw the line? Obviously, in the uber-liberal, wacky world of the PRC, wherever you can find a few like-minded city council members.

Rant over. :greetings10:

OK, you win. Anyone's household pet should be immediately reclassified as a "service animal" at the owners request and discretion and people should be allowed to bring them wherever they want, whenever they want. :cool:
SLow down. I don't see this as so trivial. The linked article didn't provide sufficient info to conclude that the city council was off base. I can understand the Feds (for federal purposes) or state or local governments limiting the circumstances in which animals can be designated "service" animals. But simply limiting the designation to dogs sounds extremely arbitrary. If such a tight standard is put in place (e.g. if, for example, the vast majority of legitimate service animal requests involve dogs and most other requests are abuses) it would seem reasonable and prudent to include a process for requesting an exception and standards for approving such exceptions. If rats or other animals can be documented to anticipate seizures they ought to be able to serve - cats too, if they can be documented to do useful service :)

Edit: Having said all that I am skeptical that any rats have been trained to detect seizures (as dogs have). If the city council lets anyone simply say its so they are idiots.

Back
Top Bottom