Mid 50's or younger... are you counting on Social Security?

I'm 56. Why wouldn't I count on my SS? I paid enough into it - about 12% of pay for 33 years

My parents always reminded me and my sister "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

+1. This is my approach too. At age 56, I'd be pretty surprised if most of what I expect to receive from SS isn't available when I claim. However, I've been surprised before. I like the feeling of autonomy that being able to get by on my investment portfolio alone gives me.

Extra money is always good.

I'm 55 & DW is 56. Planning to wait until 70 because it makes the most financial sense for us (in a perfect world).
But got to admit there's a part of me that wants to start drawing at the earliest possible moment. Guess the feeling is once you start, you're inside and they can't shut you out.
I imagine this is a common feeling.

I'm 55 & DW is 56. Planning to wait until 70 because it makes the most financial sense for us (in a perfect world).
But got to admit there's a part of me that wants to start drawing at the earliest possible moment. Guess the feeling is once you start, you're inside and they can't shut you out.
I imagine this is a common feeling.

Depending on your and your spouses earnings, it may not make sense for both to wait until 70. Lot's of SS planners to help with that. In my case, DW will start at 62 or shortly after, I will likely wait until 67, or maybe 70 depending on how things are going for me!

Back
Top Bottom