Money stress

We had a nice talk about dividing some assets up that we can each freely spend and not feel bad about it. Some of the guilt and anxiety is just comments we'll make to each other in jest about how much each spent on something. But when the spender is concerned about it, words said even in jest can sting a lot.
So true! Both of us are teasers, but we are sensitive to teasing about spending on ourselves. I'll have to bring that conversation up. I think it would help.

Hey Ronstar, are you aware of the varmint master's magazine and forums? ;)

I guess you just can't change who you are when you get to be our age. This is the same kind of problem with people trying to find something to do when they stop working. You're just conditioned not to spend, so your gonna need to work on it if you want to change that. I'm just not so sure you need to.

Here's an example that's along the same lines. An acquaintance of mine made tens of millions of dollars in tech. I happen to be in Staples with him when he was buying some supplies for his house. We were looking at pens and he was trying to figure out the best deal on pens...he then caught himself, grabbed a bunch quickly and threw them into his cart. I guess he was losing money with the time he was spending on saving pennies :)

old habits die hard. just do what you want to do and enjoy yourself. I'm a saver, learned it from my parents and now have a hard time spending money although, like you, I have more than enough.

sometimes it's the game; we want to see how much we can save clipping coupons, repairing old equipment, ordering/splitting a dinner or doing our own maintenance work. that's ok unless you want to change. Be happy, be proud, be yourself whatever that may be. You're smart and therefore lucky.........many will envy you and they should! I was glad to hear there is someone like myself, spending less than we can and not really knowing why we feel this way. Now, I wish I could teach these habits to my kids, they are growing up in a different world.

The only varmints we have are pets, but we have a friend who enjoys the magazine and forums. Lol, that's why I know about them.

GRambler

Did you find my diary and copy it word for word? Very similar condition for DW and myself, only I have 1.5 decades on you. Hard to spend on our hobbies without feeling guilty even though we should have more than enough of a safety net. Still do all my own wrenching on the vehicles along with all building and maintenance on our properties. (I need to get all my hot rods on the road before I am too old to enjoy them. But it is hard to part with hard earned greenbacks)

You belong in LBYM announymous like many others of us on this forum.

... but I have a hard time parting with that much for stuff I know will be technically obsolete in five years..
If you get a digital SLR camera body with some extra lenses, I do think the camera body may soon be obsolete, but I doubt the lenses will, and the lenses will be probably be more than half the cost. But I've just started this hobby myself, so I don't know much about it.

On propane BBQ, aside from charcoal, an electric grill is also possible. Since I find propane a little frightening, I found a Meco electric grill on Amazon (after failing to find any in Hawaii). I couldn't say about its culinary value, but it's very convenient (since I'm in easy reach of a plug-in receptacle).

On the larger point of how to start spending frivolously after a life of frugality, I think it just takes some practice. I'm doing quite well, if I do say so, but so far, my wife just can't let go of an extra penny. I'm sure she will learn to do better.

GRamber, not a lot more to add to what others have said. Seems like you enjoy some of what you spend your time (and not much money) on but maybe you can work on opening up the budget a bit for the things you're not capable of doing anymore or really hate.

Landscaping for some can be therapy but for others, just plain work and physically demanding so a good place to pay others, just an example. Rebuilding an engine for a race car sounds reasonable to me for a hobby, why not just think of it as a hobby, not a place to avoid spending money unless it gets you more money to spend on another hobby, a race car sounds pretty expensive to me.

GRambler

Did you find my diary and copy it word for word? Very similar condition for DW and myself, only I have 1.5 decades on you. Hard to spend on our hobbies without feeling guilty even though we should have more than enough of a safety net. Still do all my own wrenching on the vehicles along with all building and maintenance on our properties. (I need to get all my hot rods on the road before I am too old to enjoy them. But it is hard to part with hard earned greenbacks)

You belong in LBYM announymous like many others of us on this forum.

Umm... I got two more to finish. :whistle:
One is at final restoration stage, been a long process, doing most all myself as usual, and the other I haven't started on other than collecting parts, but it's still an all original that we take to local cruise ins.
Biggest issue isn't money, it's time. And since they are my hobby it makes no sense to pay someone to do them.

Back
Top Bottom