mosquito & fly traps/warfare/repellants

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Ok - want to get a jump on skeeter bite prevention this year, so bring on your best! We used to use blacklight bulb bug zappers around the house perimeter - they gave a lot of joy to us as we listened to the brief zap! of a skeeter going up in an electric arc, but mostly we listened to the sustained sizzle of fat moths frying on the contact screens. Nasty to clean, but did kill. Expensive bulbs, not really rain and weather proof over time.

Was thinking of a killer I saw in a restaurant: black light with a small fan that drew in the bugs and dried them out in the air flow - but those are a few hundred bucks. These people have an interesting concept using people as bait..
Skeeter Bag

Regarding flies, saw quite a few of these fly bags in use in little stores and greasy spoons a year or so ago, not many lately. That either speaks to a change in my haunts or maybe lack of efficacy of the fly bag idea.
HowStuffWorks "Can a bag of water keep flies away?"

This group knows and tells all - so what works for you?

I hang 1 of these on a reachable branch in several of the trees in my yard.

http://www.rescue.com/products/fly.asp

I save the lids of plastic yogurt or cottage cheese containers and punch a hole in the center, and thread the hanging twine through the lid, to keep excess rain out of the bag after filling the bag to the recommended level.

Skeeters? I spray the outside of my straw hat and a loose cotton shirt with OFF, and a light spray on my legs and forearms. If they are really bad in the morning or at dusk, I retreat to my screened porch. The bats do their job nicely at dusk...munch munch munch. ;)

What you got against mosquitoes? They're our provincial bird. You are in big trouble here if you shoot one that weighs under a pound. Wildlife is protected, you know.

Muskateegams (Cree word, not sure of English equivalent) are another story. Big, mean ba$tards. Leave a one inch welt after you get bit. A month later it quits hurting.

if they just dined without comment, maybe. But the whining attack? sleeping with my head under the sheet is just no fun!

Spend a week in blackfly country (e.g., northern Maine, Michigan's UP, or Alaska), and you'll never again be bothered by trivial things like ordinary mosquitos.

Do a Google search on mosquito traps. they use propane in the system and are quiet; they're 2 or 3 hundred dollars but do a very good job.

I don't think the bug zappers attract mosquitoes anyway. I have read that a few box fans will deter mosquitoes in a small area, like a patio. They are weak fliers.

Thermacells are great--either the personal sized ones you attach to your belt or the larger ones you can put on a table. Keep the skeets away. But don't get me started on no-see-ums or gnats--what a menace!

Back
Top Bottom