My retirement journey ...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Friday is dress down day in our office so I opted for some comfy faded jeans and a button down Oxford shirt. Those jeans have hung in my closet a long time awaiting a leaner Ray. When I was driving in to the office I looked down at myself I really could see the change 20lbs I've shed has made. I swear it all came out of my belly. My shirt is a bit of a tent on me. It took three months - I guess slow is good.

Everyone tells me that it weight loss will help with knees both for recovery after surgery and before with general mobility. My goal is to lose at least another 25. Yeah I've been carrying around 50 extra pounds. No wonder my knees are in long term protest I should have listened to them when they talked to me when I hit the stairs. "Your too H E A V Y !"

I read in one of the posts that it was a big mistake to carry extra weight into retirement. I can't help but notice my 90 year old uncle is lean as can be. So it's meat and veggies for me, very limited alcohol and force myself to be active as can be.

The plan: shed 25lbs more lbs (three to four months)
Get the knees done
Go on disability
When it runs out Retire.

It is going to be an interesting year....

Last edited:
Congratulations. I found that I lost weight when I retired because of the reduction of stress.

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement and successful weight loss progress! I've lost about 10 lbs since retiring a few months ago due to the significant increase in physical activity....which for me means I don't feel like eating until I'm bloated all the time like I used to. Will be interesting to see how your knees feel with less load on them. Good luck!

Well done! The only downside I see is the increased chance that you will outlive your money.

is there more to your diet than just eating meat and veggies with limited alcohol? whatever it is, it's working. Congratulations.

Yeah avoid all flour products - if you must have pasta make it whole wheat if you must have rice make it wild rice....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Wheat Belly

Ray,
Great post! Congratulations on your weight loss and upcoming retirement.

You may enjoy the book Wheat Belly. It gets very specific about what wheat does to us.

Spoiler....whole wheat pasta is just as bad as regular pasta. Ditto for bread.

I cut all wheat for 3 months and dropped 12 pounds. May not sound like much, but im not a big guy, plus I was running and doing crossfit before, during and since. The loss came from eliminating all wheat.

Was tough...i love bread, pasta, cake, cookies, etc...

Best of luck...YMMV

HaloFIRE

Ray, congrats on the weight loss. It will benefit you more than in your knees.

After my hip implant, I kind of laid off golf, softball and a few other activities, and forgot to pick them back up. That caused me to slowly gain pounds. While I was in good overall shape, I was overweight and needed to either pick up the activity or quit the bad eating habits. So I did both (over time).

Gone were the days when I was a competitive long distance runner (30 years ago?) as I morphed into a business person/engineer with an office and a never ending supply of sugar laden goodies.

I quit the crackers, donuts, holiday treats, pasta, bread, potatoes, etc type foods and went on a low carb, self inflicted diet. I am in the ending stages of that and I have lost about 25 pounds since the first of the year. It seems about 1 - 2 pounds a week just disappears and now that I am fully retired, I have more time to devote to outdoor activities, which currently consist of walking and some bike riding. You really need to be active to make weight loss work and you will feel better.

While I don't suggest you follow a strict, published diet plan, I do recommend you have a look at the Atkins information as it seems to fit what you are trying to do.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

It's so good to see others who've had great success avoiding wheat and/or following a low-carb program. It can really make a difference.
Wheat Belly is an excellent book, as is Grain Brain. Makes you really think twice about any wheat or processed foods.

Guys thank you, thank you thank you I bought wheat belly and am reading it. I had already stumbled upon avoid all flour products thus my 20lb weight loss. I am confident another 25lbs will be a boon for my general health and these old knees...

I curse wheat....

I wish I could say the same. Some of it is genetics. I'm definitely eating less, working out more, but it's not showing at the scale. Time to get back to Weight Watchers I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Ray,
Great post! Congratulations on your weight loss and upcoming retirement.

You may enjoy the book Wheat Belly. It gets very specific about what wheat does to us.

Spoiler....whole wheat pasta is just as bad as regular pasta. Ditto for bread.

I cut all wheat for 3 months and dropped 12 pounds. May not sound like much, but im not a big guy, plus I was running and doing crossfit before, during and since. The loss came from eliminating all wheat.

Was tough...i love bread, pasta, cake, cookies, etc...

Best of luck...YMMV

HaloFIRE

Yeah I don't eat grains other then white rice, and also stay away from legumes and sugar. I follow The Perfect Health Diet, by Paul Jaminet. Lots of healthy fat, plenty of veg, starch, a little fruit and alcohol.

Down about 40 lbs in a year. Reduced portions size, cut out snacks. Walk a couple of miles four to seven days a week. I track calories on MyFitnessPal, and use to track walks on a Fitbit. I now know the calorie count for walks, so I don't use the Fitbit as much.

Did cut back the 'white' foods (potatoes, rice, pasta etc.) but still eat them. Cut down on alcohol, but not out. Cut back on sweets, hardest part for me, but still splurge a couple of times a month.

For me the trick is keeping weight off, not loosing it! I have been as high as 250, and am at 187 now. (250 was about 10 years ago while still working!)

The jokes on me ... This gorgeous morning I had egg salad and pepperidge farm thin sliced (good) pumpernickel bread... Looked at the label and what do I read first ingredient is wheat flour... That 'stuff' is in everything... Anyone find a healthy substitute?

I double my curse on wheat...

Last edited:
Down about 40 lbs in a year. Reduced portions size, cut out snacks. Walk a couple of miles four to seven days a week. I track calories on MyFitnessPal, and use to track walks on a Fitbit. I now know the calorie count for walks, so I don't use the Fitbit as much.

Did cut back the 'white' foods (potatoes, rice, pasta etc.) but still eat them. Cut down on alcohol, but not out. Cut back on sweets, hardest part for me, but still splurge a couple of times a month.

For me the trick is keeping weight off, not loosing it! I have been as high as 250, and am at 187 now. (250 was about 10 years ago while still working!)

Awesome.. I guess I can continue to do this...

Inspiring stuff Ray!

My first big goal after ER was to GET FIT. 8 months in, there is now 60 pounds less of me. I quite literally feel like a new man.

I don't make a point of avoiding wheat - my whole strategy revolves around the idea of "eat less, move more". I weight train and run a lot - and now that I am so much lighter, my previously creaky knees are gone. I am now physically ready to attack ER WITH VIGOUR. :)

The jokes on me ... This gorgeous morning I had egg salad and pepperidge farm thin sliced (good) pumpernickel bread... Looked at the label and what do I read first ingredient is wheat flour... That 'stuff' is in everything... Anyone find a healthy substitute?

I double my curse on wheat...

The best way is to get off the bread, period. Use hole lettuce leaves for a sandwich and make a wrap.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom