My Roth/401k are taking a dive!

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Over the last week or so, they're falling fast! I know I shouldnt watch so closely, but how can I not ? Over half the profits I netted in the last year are gone....

And I'm not in anything crazy, it's a well-balanced portfolio (both are). I guess I'll have to dump a chunk of change into the Roth since the shares are 'on sale' lol. My roth lost 1.9% yesterday.

Just thought I'd share.

thefed said:
Over the last week or so, they're falling fast! ...
My roth lost 1.9% yesterday.

You are in big trouble!  Sell everything now! 

Or get used to it.

thefed said:
Over the last week or so, they're falling fast! I know I shouldnt watch so closely, but how can I not ? Over half the profits I netted in the last year are gone....

And I'm not in anything crazy, it's a well-balanced portfolio (both are). I guess I'll have to dump a chunk of change into the Roth since the shares are 'on sale' lol. My roth lost 1.9% yesterday.

Just thought I'd share.

Do you need the money this week? If not, consider doing the following

1. Contribute as much as you can
2. Pick inexpensive, well diversified funds
3. Go do something else
4. Consider looking at the monthly, quarterly annual statements

thefed said:

Stick your arms in the air and go "Wee!"

Tim

Don't worry about it too much, that's just the nature of the beast. Over the long haul returns go up, but it's always a rocky road of peaks and valleys.

Just for kicks, I checked my finances, and it looks like I've "lost" about 2% since February 1st. I'm not going to cry over it.

Hey thefed,

Hey you have the right idea. Unless you plan on making a withdrawall soon, you should just continue to invest and enjoy the ride. If you are concerned about your short term negative returns, you may wish to review your asset allocation.  Maybe you are in a too risky mix for your individual temprament.

You said
   And I'm not in anything crazy, it's a well-balanced portfolio (both are). 
This indicates that you do not consider all of your investments as one portfolio with several parts. It is a good idea to think of all of your investment assets (including those of your wife's) as one portfolio with a number of parts but managed as one pot of money.

I like that you think of stocks as being "on sale" after they go down in value. Once I "got" that one piece of investing wisdom, it made dealing with portfolio volatility much easier. Stocks drop a bunch? That's ok, I'm buying everything at a discount to what it used to be.

been busy for a few, but thanks for the replies! I'm gettign ready to buy anothe rlarge block of shares for m roth!

i know its nothign to sweat, but eeek!!!!!!!!!! its tough to watch

Everythings going on sale!

Run! Run away! Everyone sell what you bought at a premium for the sale price! Aiyeeeeeee!

:LOL:

Are you implying energy or natural resources funds? They have been taking some beating lately but are poised for a comeback?

I have about 20% of my roth in natural resources and energy stocks. I didnt mean to imply that, but indeed it is the case.

I'm planning to buy more of the Vanguard 2045 target fund

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom