Need Crown For Tooth

Dental cleanings and exams are opportunities for dentists to sell you something.

Dentists are salesmen. If the tooth is not causing pain, say no to the sales pitch.

That's a mighty cynical way to look at it! I'm not saying that there aren't any dentists that might be overeager or some even borderline crooks, but the vast majority of them are reasonable professionals that make judgments based on the particular situation. Obviously, they can't always be 100% certain, so from time to time they might recommend a procedure that could be delayed or even skipped. But they do go through a ton of training and know a lot more about this than pretty much all of us on these boards, so I'm inclined to trust their judgment, especially if I have a longstanding relationship with them and they have earned my trust.

My dentist does the 3D printed ones while you sit in the chair. About $850 and one visit. I have one in my mouth now. No problems going on 4 years. I also have the old make a mold kind too. They act the same.

My dentist does 3D printing also. Very convenient. Max allowed for a crown by VA group dental plan (VADIP, Delta Dental) is $747. Insurance covers 70% so my part is $224 (plus $38.70 if build-up is required. I can see on the pre-treatment estimate the dentist charges $1211 for a crown and $313 for build-up, if required. I didn't retire with a military pension but the VA group dental insurance plan has been a godsend for my troublesome teeth!

My dentist does the 3D printed ones while you sit in the chair. About $850 and one visit. I have one in my mouth now. No problems going on 4 years. I also have the old make a mold kind too. They act the same.

Are you sure they are 3D printed? I recently had a same day crown, but it is a subtractive process, actually a small 3D Milling machine using a ceramic substrate that is cut and then fired. The confusion may be that they get a 3D laser Diagram(?) of the prepared tooth and then cut the tooth. I got to watch it being cut.

The differences between additive manufacturing and subtractive manufacturing are significant. Additive manufacturing, often referred to as 3D printing, adds successive layers of material to create an object. Subtractive manufacturing removes material to create an object.

gwill1010 is right. Ask why.

Reasons to get a crown:

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/dental-crowns
Hmmm-the dentist told you so is not on that list. And some finding on Xray is not on that list either.

I had a crown a few months ago due to a very sensitive and painful tooth, with a large filling from childhood. My dentist evaluated my symptoms and did a number of physical exam type tests to decide crown vs. root canal.

No dentist can tell you that you need a crown based on an Xray alone. Just like no doctor should be making a diagnosis without evaluating you (not just an Xray).

Did your dentist suddenly get a 3D printer that makes crowns and wants to generate income for his/her practice? Worth exploring IMO.

Exactly. I've got a bunch of crowns. I'm 100% the last one was not needed. Be you own advocate.

a crown cannot be 3D printed. it is made from a solid block of material. we do have 3D printers in dental offices that can be used to make surgical guides, dentures, orthodontic retainers, etc., not crowns.

Are you sure they are 3D printed? I recently had a same day crown, but it is a subtractive process, actually a small 3D Milling machine using a ceramic substrate that is cut and then fired. The confusion may be that they get a 3D laser Diagram(?) of the prepared tooth and then cut the tooth. I got to watch it being cut.

The differences between additive manufacturing and subtractive manufacturing are significant. Additive manufacturing, often referred to as 3D printing, adds successive layers of material to create an object. Subtractive manufacturing removes material to create an object.

It could easily be milling. I assumed it was 3D printing. There is a heating/firing step. Happens very quickly and the surface is so smooth!

I recently broke a piece off a molar on a popcorn kernel. Needs a crown. My out of pocket for the crown is going to be a little over $500. Do you people quoting prices of $1000 to $1500 have dental insurance or is that without insurance?

I paid $1500; I'm on Medicare and have no dental insurance, so I pay full price.

I have a chipped lower incisor for the second time. Last time the dentist just sort of filled it in for about $170. That one has been good for a couple years so far.

I recently broke a piece off a molar on a popcorn kernel. Needs a crown. My out of pocket for the crown is going to be a little over $500. Do you people quoting prices of $1000 to $1500 have dental insurance or is that without insurance?

People chewing un-popped kernels (and ice) have given many a dentist boat payments over the years. :popcorn: Teach the younger generations to avoid this habit if they do it on purpose. The popcorn won the battle on a molar of mine and I had a crown made the same day. CNC milled from a ceramic blank using 3-D scans of the tooth stub. The future is now.

The only negative I experienced was during the 40 min wait the Novocain had apparently started to wear off because when dentist made the final prep for fitting with a blast of cold water and air I could definitely feel it. :blush:

Back
Top Bottom