Need opinions on my decision

I cannot judge. Only you know for certain.

I retired at 59. I did not admit it to myself but I could have easily retired at 55. When I did start to be serious about retiring at 58 I realized that I had more equity that I imagined and as it turned out over the years my base spending was less than anticipated. Travel was higher...a major part of our expenses.

Looking back, what really stopped me from retiring at 54 or 55, notwithstanding my imaginary excuses, was that I was simply 'not ready'. I had a great job that I loved and worked for an excellent employer for the previous 25 years.

At 59 I was ready. And I knew a package was on the way so I had a few months to wind down, coast, and make post retirement plans with my spouse. My spouse and friends could not imagine me not working. I walked away and never looked back.

I believe that financials is only one part of the retirment equation. The timing has to feel 'right' for you. If it does not...simply wait a while.
Great advice! A similar situation for me too!

I'm trying to recall a popular (even temporary) gummint program that ever actually went away (and was not replaced by something more generous.) ACA is going nowhere IMHO. Tweaked a bit? Maybe, but not going away though YMMV.
ACP just went away. Affordable Connectivity Program

It was popular and brought Internet access to the poor and low income. This i life-changing (in a bad way) to many who are going to lose their Internet access, those least able to lose it.

Lots of good replies to my original question- and I thank you. My decision is to retire next summer, I feel very good about this. It’ll give me a year for a few lumpy expenses (roof, possible car) while I’m still wor$ing. You guys have me a lot more confidence; now to hope the ACA stays for the next 7 years!!

ACP just went away. Affordable Connectivity Program

It was popular and brought Internet access to the poor and low income. This i life-changing (in a bad way) to many who are going to lose their Internet access, those least able to lose it.
My WAG? It's not dead - just awaiting reauthorization. IIRC it's just not currently funded. That could change, but YMMV.

I used a retirement calculator in my late 40's and early 50's as a guide. It served as an incentive.

But, when decision time came for us in our late 50's it was based on a back of the envelope calculation on bridging the gap between our pension income flows and our investement ROI's. Adjusted for inflation, errors and ommissions, planned travel and capital expenditures. Basic math.

That and gut feel about our finances since had been debt free for years, no lifestyle creep, and had been living well below our means.

It has been, on average, spot on, for the past 13 years. We were ready for retirement. Our focus was on all the reasons why we should retire vs why we should not or why we might not be able to afford to retire.

The only person who knows is you....your finanances, your annual after tax burn rate, and your retirment plans. Either you feel ready or you do not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom