Need suggestions for stable income

ok, after reading through posts I see mom gets $75K from trust, $13K from dads pension plus trust pays her property and school taxes of $15K. So, (exluding taxes), she has $88K, before SS which I would think is maybe another $20K? So she is getting over $100K but wants more than $120K? This is based on the comment about $10,000 per mo. isn't enough. Am I up to speed on this discussion or am I still missing something?

78k from the trust, about 44k from SS & Pension. Yet, it is not enough. That's net, not gross.

I don't know why the mom cannot (should not) use her money to support her daughter. Many people on this forum are talking about leaving money to charity, I would certainly make sure that my sons are taken good care of before consider any charity.

For one, it is not the Mom's money... the Mom is the beneficiary of the trust. That's the thing about trusts... once the money goes in it can only go out consistent with the provisions of the trust and the trustee is there to ensure that happens.

For all we know the OP's Dad may have foreseen that the OP's youngest sister would be a mooch and manipulate her Mom and that is why he set up the trust... so a cooler head.. the OP, would make the decisions.

But you are correct, once the money becomes Mom's (after it is distributed to her from the trust in accordance with the provisions of the trust) then it is hers to do with as she pleases... that is not in dispute and the OP respects that.

$2.5M if she lives to 100 and total return is 0% would last at a payout rate of $95K per year. So $95K minus $15K in taxes yields a payout of $80K per year so I agree your $78K in today's low interest rate environment is close. Might possibly look into these to generate some relatively guaranteed returns: https://www.fidelity.com/insights/investing-ideas/etfs-for-retirement-income

Back
Top Bottom