new car remotes.

One small point about the fobs. When we travel, it's always in my car, and DW carries the spare one in her purse, just in case. Obviously, her profile is set to that fob, and mine to mine.

The car sets the seat position, mirrors, etc. to the profile of whichever fob approaches it first. So we occasionally ran into the problem of the seat being wrong for me when I opened the door, since she had been slightly ahead of me walking to it.

We solved that one by wrapping hers in a piece of aluminum foil to block the Bluetooth signal. She only unwraps it when she drives my car, which fortunately isn't often.

Not sure about your Rav4 but some cars allow you to program a cheaper blank remote if you have BOTH original remotes. Check YouTube to find out.
This. Buy a cheap fob off Ebay or similar. Get key cut at locksmith for few bucks if it has a key. Then go through the programming for the new 3rd fob. You will need both original fobs for most vehicles. Should be able to buy and program the 3rd fob for less than $50.

A while back (> 10 years) I dropped and broke the fob for our Camry. That’s when I found out how much they cost to replace. The fob itself was $180, and the dealer programming was another $200.

Replacement fobs can be found online for lower prices but the programming has to be done by the dealer and most are reluctant to program a fob not sold by them.

A while back (> 10 years) I dropped and broke the fob for our Camry. That’s when I found out how much they cost to replace. The fob itself was $180, and the dealer programming was another $200.

Replacement fobs can be found online for lower prices but the programming has to be done by the dealer and most are reluctant to program a fob not sold by them.

I'm pretty sure that for many cars, as long as you have another spare fob, you can get an aftermarket replacement programmed, or even DIY. Without that spare fob, I think you will need to see the dealer.

I suppose it depends on the model year, but I found this for Toyota:

https://www.oaklawntoyota.com/service/service-tips-and-tricks/how-to-program-a-toyota-key-fob/

Get in your car, make sure all doors are closed, and have your ignition key ready. Then, follow these steps for how to how to program your Toyota key fob:

Turn your key in the ignition from “off” to “on,” and repeat within five seconds. Remove your key from the ignition.
Within 40 seconds, close and open the driver door twice, and then insert and remove the key from the ignition one more time.
Again, be sure to perform steps one and two within 40 seconds. You’ve now entered remote programming mode.

The door locks should cycle within three seconds to indicate the vehicle has entered remote programming mode. If this doesn’t happen, repeat steps one through three, or schedule service to get in-person help. Your remote should now be programmed to recognize your vehicle! Test it by locking and unlocking the power door locks. To exit remote-programming mode, open the driver door.

-ERD50

Since switching to using my phone as a key I haven’t had to worry about dead fab batteries, lost fobs, etc.
I much prefer it, and programming a new phone is free. Replacing a backup card (size of a credit card) is, as I recall, $5.

That said, I would still take a key fob over old fashioned keys any day ;)

Since switching to using my phone as a key I haven’t had to worry about dead fab batteries, lost fobs, etc.
I much prefer it, and programming a new phone is free. Replacing a backup card (size of a credit card) is, as I recall, $5.
+1. Looking forward to that too. I’ve yet to lose a key, fob or (smart)phone knock on wood…

Back
Top Bottom