"New & Improved" - we keep falling for it

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
While I think I can usually see through it, I succumb from time to time too, usually when I'm trying to justify a purchase I want to make anyway. :blush:

Latest example a golf iron comparison where a winner is selected after a 11 minute YouTube video (I am not suggesting anyone watch it, just noting the source). The guy is usually pretty good, but the "data" analysis in this episode is a joke.

There were other factors, but distance was major in the "conclusion." Those with any statistics background should laugh:

• 1st - PXG - 172 yds with a 4 SD
  • 2nd - AP2 - 171 yds with a 3 SD
  • 3rd - MP-5 - 169 yds with a 3 SD
All hit by a human hitting 10 balls with each club. If you wade into all the data, the clubs aren't statistically different anyway. The legitimate conclusion should have been there's no statistical difference between the clubs.

Golf equipment manufacturers are as bad as any -the creative "scientific" half-truths they come up with year after year are hilarious. There's almost no consumer item that doesn't suffer from the marketing hype of new & improved. Fortunately most here know better...

Last edited:
Golf equipment sales is all about 'new and improved' marketing and it seems to work because many fall for it. Didn't watch the video but know that the PXG irons that came out #1 also cost twice as much as the other irons reviewed, that would have knocked them off of my list. Are you considering buying any of these irons? They are all in the 'players irons' group, not as forgiving as other irons, usually marketed to the very good golfer who consistently finds the center of the club face.

Golf Iron Reviews 2017: 29 new irons tested and rated | GOLF.com

Back
Top Bottom