New owner's property tax liability much higher than current owners.

California has earthquakes, wildfires, rattlesnakes, and a bunch of people from other places. Traffic is awful. Do NOT move here.

(Inspired by REWahoo's Texas list)

And...reoccurring blackouts, the highest taxes in the country, homeless problems, crime problems, etc etc
But it’s a nice place to visit :)

And coyotes and drought.

I don’t live in California. But I live somewhere people routinely and blindly critique as being a horrible place to live.

They usually shut their proverbial trap when I explain: “you are taking about my home”.

And coyotes and drought.
If you want coyotes then you are welcome to ours in N Fl. They are not indigenous and migrated here a few decades ago. They have killed hundreds of our pets and much of our wildlife (possums, raccoons, birds, etc.) U.S. Fish and Wildlife and the town are worse than useless and won't do anything (no trapping, shooting, etc.) about it except to tell everyone to suck it up and coexist. Funny how they don't take the same stand with the indigenous alligators.

Cheers!

... I would have to be crazy to move my businesses out of California.

Interesting... there are many, many thriving businesses based outside of California. IIRC, Tesla just decided to build a massive electric vehicle factory in Austin, TX so I guess they are crazy.

I like California, have relatives there and have visited there many times, but I have no desire to live there... too busy, too crowded and too expensive for my tastes.

I guess now it is more than just the factory. https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/09/tech/elon-musk-texas/index.html

Tesla's CEO says he has relocated to the Lone Star State.

Elon Musk revealed his move from California to Texas during The Wall Street Journal's CEO Council annual summit Tuesday. ...

Musk is quite manipulative, so I would take any comment of his with a grain of salt.

Musk is quite manipulative, so I would take any comment of his with a grain of salt.

Possibly, but Musk is familiar with Texas business climates as he has a large SpaceX presence in Texas..

He would know how they compare to the Cali business climate.

With Goldman Sachs considering relocating some of their operations to Downtown West Palm Beach, we will consider selling our downtown high rise condo unit as prices are approaching the 2007 highs again. We bought our unit in 2011 at the last cycle low. The property taxes continue to rise for those of us who don't have the homestead exemption.

The homeless situation in South Florida is becoming more and more horrific. The parks are like scenes from the Walking Dead. The police and public security are doing what they can but the numbers are overwhelming and will likely get worse. We and many others in our condo and other condos downtown have had our bicycles stolen. The security cameras caught the perpetrator entering through the locked garage gate after it opened to let a car through. When we filed a police report, the police officer informed us that a homeless individual who is known to the police has stolen over 28 bicycles from downtown condos. They eventually caught the perpetrator who was stealing and selling bikes to support his drug habit. Now our condo has more security patrols and have advised people to keep expensive bikes in their units.

We really appreciate the quiet and calm of our suburban hilltop community in Los Angeles county. At 2106 feet elevation and a community with many high ranking law enforcement officials from the LAPD, it appear to be an effective deterrent.

Moving to LA to escape homeless people is like moving to North Dakota to escape the cold :LOL:

Well, inflation has increased costs by over 50% in those 20 years: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/, so the housing increase is not out of line.

Taxes are up by a little more. Typical.

While I am sure there are some "older folks getting squeezed", I frankly hear more bitching by people that can well afford it, but they are back to thinking 20 years ago when the taxes were so much lower.

Grew up in a very nice home...mom sold it (post-divorce) around 30 years ago for $500k...it recently sold for $1.5 million.

In those 30 years annual property taxes went from ~$3,000 to ~$18,000, and that's here in "flyover country."

Back
Top Bottom