New tool for prevention and treatment of dental caries

tfudtuckerpucker

Full time employment: Posting here.
I've been reading about the use of silver diamine fluoride (SDF) for treating cavities, instead of drilling/filling. Basically, you paint the teeth with SDF, and it stops most caries (even following the lesion into the tooth), and converts the carie to a very hard substance. The downside is it turns the converted carie black, though this can be covered if in a aesthetically sensitive area. Furthermore it prevents other caries from forming.

I have a mouthful of fillings, and now the dentist wants to start putting in crowns. This not only is expensive, but you loose the original teeth. SDF can avoid fillings and not jeopardize the tooth's structure. Has anyone else looked into this as an option for adults?

Links
FRESH APPROACH TO CARIES ARREST IN ADULTS

UCSF Protocol

The dos and don'ts of silver diamine fluoride

I have never heard of this treatment, but I too used to have a mouth full of filings, mostly silver. And my dentist, when I relocated to a new city, suggested crowns to replace the fillings. The long term problem with fillings is the damaged tooth is more likely to attract more decay over time, causing fillings to need replacement, fixing. I ultimately went the crown route, including a bunch!! of root canals. Spent enough to take the medical deduction a couple years in a row.:( when I made a lot less than now, but still, ugh. But I am totally glad I replaced my fillings. I had a great dentist, root canal guy, and also did some other gum surgery. Floss, floss, floss in between, around and under crowns, that's the trick to long term maintenance and care free teeth. My two cents. I also get a $50 or so fluoride treatment when I get a cleaning, which is painted on and stays on, it's sticky like whitening strips, for a couple/three hours.

I have soft teeth and have a ton of fillings. Since having my molars crowned over ten years ago I only have needed cleanings. I'm really glad I had the crowns put in. And, I agree, floss, floss, floss.

I have a mouthful of crowns. I guess good dental insurance (in my past life) encouraged dentists to talk me into them. I have one crown from the age of 12, I am 60. The others over the years, cannot remember. One thing, I try not to eat stuff like caramel or chew meat. If the meat is tough, I spit it out, lol. I don't test my teeth on anything. i can eat an apple, no problem. My brother bit into an olive he thought was pitted. It was not, therefore, a bridge. He felt like suing the restaurant.

I've been reading about the use of silver diamine fluoride (SDF) for treating cavities, instead of drilling/filling. Basically, you paint the teeth with SDF, and it stops most caries (even following the lesion into the tooth), and converts the carie to a very hard substance. The downside is it turns the converted carie black, though this can be covered if in a aesthetically sensitive area. Furthermore it prevents other caries from forming.

I have a mouthful of fillings, and now the dentist wants to start putting in crowns. This not only is expensive, but you loose the original teeth. SDF can avoid fillings and not jeopardize the tooth's structure. Has anyone else looked into this as an option for adults?

Links
FRESH APPROACH TO CARIES ARREST IN ADULTS

UCSF Protocol

The dos and don'ts of silver diamine fluoride

One thing to recognize here is that while it shows some promise for arresting caries, it does nothing to make the tooth strong. If your dentist is recommending a crown, he or she is concerned about the strength of the remaining tooth structure, and its ability to resist fracturing when you chew on it. SDF won't address that issue at all.

One thing to recognize here is that while it shows some promise for arresting caries, it does nothing to make the tooth strong. If your dentist is recommending a crown, he or she is concerned about the strength of the remaining tooth structure, and its ability to resist fracturing when you chew on it. SDF won't address that issue at all.
+1

When the cavity gets too bad the structure of the tooth can go. I split a couple of teeth before they were crowned. Always at an inopportune time.

+1

When the cavity gets too bad the structure of the tooth can go. I split a couple of teeth before they were crowned. Always at an inopportune time.

Yes, I have a tooth that is at that point. A filling has fallen out, and the dentist said if he replaces the filling, then more than half of the tooth will be gone, and so a crown is recommended. Maybe it's too late for this one.

I have always visited a dentist 2x per year, and I'm frustrated that fillings get deeper and deeper, fall out, and then crowns are needed. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but this SDF would avoid deep drilling, and thus avoid crowns. If decay is stopped with SDF, it is replaced with a dentin bridge that is so strong that it can be drilled without anesthetic.

Back
Top Bottom