New TV, what to buy?

My nephew gave me his 4K blu-ray HDR disc set of Blue Planet II. This is the BBC production with David Attenborough narrating. Watched it on my LG C2 OLED.

WOW. Stunning visuals and sound quality. I've only seen the first disc which covers the ocean and coral reefs, but WOW, the picture quality is insanely excellent. The portions on the coral reefs are particularly colorful and jaw dropping.

Last edited:
Just bought the 77-inch Samsung S90c OLED. It was replacing an old rear-projection TV, so finally made it into the 21st century. I'm using a Roku on HDMI because I've heard people aren't too happy with Samsung operating system.

Congrats. You're going to love it.

I got the LG C3 77". The Samsung S90C was a very close second, with the Sony A80L in 3rd. The S90C was the only QD OLED among the 3, so would have been brighter. But I read that QD OLED is more prone to burn-in than regular OLED in early testing. Also, Samsung has no support for Dolby Vision. So, even though they are all excellent choices, I opted for the LG.

Does Roku have the Apple app? It looks like it does but not sure...

I have an old TV that is not 'smart' and DW wants to stream Apple and Netflix... and probably Prime and some others that she has...

If it does, I do not have to buy a new TV :dance:

I have an old TV that is not 'smart' and DW wants to stream Apple and Netflix... and probably Prime and some others that she has...

Yes, you can get Apple TV through the Roku device.

Yes, you can get Apple TV through the Roku device.

Yes, you can watch Apple TV with a Roku device. (Also Netflix, Prime, and 1000's of others) All programs on Apple TV are in 4K HDR Dolbyvision, meaning the picture quality is state of the art. So while you will be watching Apple TV, you won't be seeing it as it is intended.

Reading this thread with interest since I would like to replace our tv. Currently we have a Sharp flat screen that our neighbor who was moving out of state gave us a couple of years ago. It is 65” and we use it with over the air antenna and a cheap Roku for streaming. This is a major upgrade to the very heavy 32” tube type tv with a digital converter box. Our old tv did not allow for Roku and was extremely heavy. It was difficult for DH and to get out of the house so that I could take it to the recycling center.

I see mention of Hisense from Costco. I noticed that the other day and thought it might be a good option for us. As long as the antenna and the Roku work with it, I’m happy. The main reason I want to replace what we have is a worm shaped shadow top and center of our current tv. Also, our current tv can only be turned on with a button and not the remote. The remote works for other functions. DH insists that what we have is fine, but he doesn’t like electronic gadgets as much as I do. We can well afford a replacement.

I have a Sony in the bedroom and it works well with antenna and a cheap Roku. It replaced a tube tv and digital converter box several years ago. The only complaint I have with it is the sound. Background noise is too loud and dialogue too soft on a few shows. I have played with the settings and it is better, but not as good as I would like.

I’m amazed at how well cheap Roku devices work. Both of ours were less than $30.

Long post to ask if folks are still happy with Hisense.

Before I got my LG C2 I had a budget Hisense from Target. It was a 55" with Roku built into it that was $299 on sale 5 years ago. As far as watching over-the-air 1080p resolution TV and basic cable stuff it was pretty good. Not excellent but good. For watching 4K content and 4K HDR or Dolbyvision content is was only fair.

About 1 1/2 years ago it developed a discolored slightly green tinted circle that covers the upper third center of the screen. It does not dominate the screen, kind of in the background, but of course now that I know it's there I can't un-see it. This makes it unwatchable for me but my wife doesn't care as it doesn't bother her.

I guess my advice is if you're not going to watch much 4K content a Hisense would be decent, but avoid the lowest priced Hisense and get a mid to upper tier model.

I have a 42" LG tv, model 42LN5700 from January 2014.
The picture is great. The colors and sound no problem. 3 usb ports and 3 hdmi ports plus the RGB ports plus a network port.

Plus it has the wide center T stand that makes the tv stable on any table unlike those with spread out legs at the end of the tv set.
I can swivel mine around as it rests on a woven mat.

I use a Roku 4 box to watch the free Pluto tv and Tubi and Amazon Prime Video and free Youtube channels I subscribe to.
I also have Plex setup to watch videos I took off the dvd's and have scenic photos playing in a screensaver.

10 year old tv and working great.
When I move I will get another tv that is larger for another room but will still use the 42" one.

We have an LG OLED. Best picture ever.

Reading this thread with interest since I would like to replace our tv. Currently we have a Sharp flat screen that our neighbor who was moving out of state gave us a couple of years ago. It is 65” and we use it with over the air antenna and a cheap Roku for streaming. This is a major upgrade to the very heavy 32” tube type tv with a digital converter box. Our old tv did not allow for Roku and was extremely heavy. It was difficult for DH and to get out of the house so that I could take it to the recycling center.

I see mention of Hisense from Costco. I noticed that the other day and thought it might be a good option for us. As long as the antenna and the Roku work with it, I’m happy. The main reason I want to replace what we have is a worm shaped shadow top and center of our current tv. Also, our current tv can only be turned on with a button and not the remote. The remote works for other functions. DH insists that what we have is fine, but he doesn’t like electronic gadgets as much as I do. We can well afford a replacement.

I have a Sony in the bedroom and it works well with antenna and a cheap Roku. It replaced a tube tv and digital converter box several years ago. The only complaint I have with it is the sound. Background noise is too loud and dialogue too soft on a few shows. I have played with the settings and it is better, but not as good as I would like.

I’m amazed at how well cheap Roku devices work. Both of ours were less than $30.

Just and FYI, I bought a remote from Amazon to replace the one that stopped working on my TV.. really cheap and much cheaper than a new TV...

Just and FYI, I bought a remote from Amazon to replace the one that stopped working on my TV.. really cheap and much cheaper than a new TV...
I recently replaced the remote on my 2017 Roku TV, I simply wore out one of the buttons. The replacement remotes on Amazon are unbelievably cheap, I picked up a 2 pack for less than $7 and they're better than the original one, 3 of the 4 programmed buttons are actually for streaming services I use.

Don't buy Vizio. I have two that are each 15 years old and the damn things just won't die.

LOL...We have 3... But may have a BTD moment once we get moved in the house. In the camper we have a 12 inch in the bedroom and 32 in the main room. Our 55in we bought as an open box deal over 10 years ago. was top off the line then. When we sold the house, I brought it to work where it was on nearly 24 hours a day, at times a movie or video game would get paused to take a call and set for hours. When I retired, I offered to sell them it, but they decided to get a newer one, so its been it a storage building the last 2 years.

Here is a recent review from rtings.com where they recommend the Samsung S90c.

Back
Top Bottom