No 1099 for less than $10 ?

Delawaredave5

Full time employment: Posting here.
Kids and I have several small bank accounts that earn little / no interest.

I guess banks do not have to issue 1099's if amount is less than $10 - makes sense.

I'm assuming I also should not bother finding/reporting same small amounts ? (I guess I could find interest on a monthly statement).

OK to ignore these ?

Thanks !

I was looking for a 1099 on a small checking account so called my bank and learned they do not issue them if under $10. My interest was a whopping 93 cents:facepalm: We did not include it in our 2012 income.

There is a threshold under which a 1099 is not required. Not sure if it is $10, but that sounds about right.

It won't cost you much to report it, but if you run for political office or otherwise do something where you will have your background checked I think it would be wise to report it and to have had it reported in the past.

My 2012 interest is on my December statements as YTD. I think it was $2.63 or thereabouts.

I assume we are talking about a single 1099 applicable to a single type of account such as a bank account. I say this because my friend whose taxes I prepare received seven 1099 forms, some of which listed several different types of accounts and investments such as taxable interest, tax-exempt interest, ordinary dividends, qualified dividends, and cap gain distributions. Some of the amounts shown for these categories were for less than $10; one of them had an amount of $0.01 although in both cases there were ordinary dividends of at least $300.

I created a table within a spreadsheet which listed each institution's 1099 form(s) along with the amount for each type of income.

I suppose it depends on the institution - DW gets one for $8 and some change every year.

The answer is you won't get a 1099 for accounts with less than $10 of interest. And these days you can have a $1000 account still be under the $10. As far as paying taxes you are suppose to pay tax on it even if its under $10. But my memory is far better for deductions vs. income. Without a 1099 to jog my memory there's no way I can remember. :)

Given today's interest rates on things like CD's and passbook accounts, earnings under $10 are not that uncommon. I had several accounts that did not bother to report earnings on a 1099. The [-]War On Savers[/-] Fed's financial plan definetly has its winners and losers.

My recollection (which may be faulty) is that, though the wording was ambiguous, taxpayers are required to report ALL income, period. For all the 5 extra minutes it took, we've always reported those "penny accounts". It never increased our tax bill, and we've never lost any sleep over it.

Of course, I spoze you could always just call the IRS and ask them.... :blush:

Tyro

Our 1099 from our bank included the interests earned from our checking accounts which are less than a dollar. Since they are already on my Quicken, it is not a problem importing them into my tax return.

The answer is you won't get a 1099 for accounts with less than $10 of interest. And these days you can have a $1000 account still be under the $10. As far as paying taxes you are suppose to pay tax on it even if its under $10. But my memory is far better for deductions vs. income. Without a 1099 to jog my memory there's no way I can remember. :)

This is the correct answer -- If ANY ACCOUNT has interest of 50 cents or more it MUST be listed as income in the interest section of your taxes!

fd

Back
Top Bottom