No Fuss Retirement Day in Rocket City

I would have loved a no-fuss retirement day, but in the military it's just not possible. They insist on having a little ceremony where they bring in a couple of high rankers to say what a fine fellow you are, pin another medal on you, and make jokes about how much you'll miss military life. :LOL:
Not me. Did 26 years and 4 months and I had 0 official ceremony. My wife and work colleague hosted a nice dinner for friends and colleagues at a local churrascaria where we all drank too much and closed the place down.

+1. It seems pretty clear that the OP didn't forget a mask but was trying to make a statement by not wearing a mask.

I wonder if he even had a mask on his person or in his car? If so, then why not just go to the car and get it?

To me, wearing a mask isn't a political statement, but rather just a common social courtesy. Click it or ticket. Mask it or casket.

+1,000,000 % not very smart on your part.

I left this past July, so it was a matter of saying good bye on several regular Zoom calls where everyone got quickly on to other business. I just winked out, which was A-OK with me.

Sadly, HR at that org seemed to exist to be an obstacle to every single thing, including a significant bonus my boss had promised me for years. I even spoke with an attorney about it. In the end, the HR VP went on vacation and my boss got together with another VP and shoved half of my package through, except in the form of keeping me on the payroll longer. That was all 6 months ago and I haven’t thought much about the rough handling. Moved on happily to a new life that specifically involves zero self-important bureaucrats who are on power trips.

I was only with my last employer 2+ years so I wasn't expecting much for my final day. It's accurate to say my expectations were exceeded :D

Hi, I am 54 yrs old, married with two daughters.

So here's my question:
For those of you that retired during this pandemic, what was your last day like?

I've been retired 6 years but my wife retired on June 30th. She had been working from home for the previous 4 months so her last day was rather uneventful. We loaded her work equipment into her car, drove to her office where we turned it and her badge over to a security person. No fanfare, no exit interview. Just like that it was done.

By the way, she left with a package with severance pay. When the last payment came it was short by a day. After a few weeks of complaining and sort-of threatening they finally said they were cutting her a check this week. I hope it does come because I don't really want to go through the hassle of going to either regulators or small claims court to get it.

Not me. Did 26 years and 4 months and I had 0 official ceremony. My wife and work colleague hosted a nice dinner for friends and colleagues at a local churrascaria where we all drank too much and closed the place down.

Over 28+ years in the Navy, I’d seen lots of people retire. Some had the ceremony; others just checked out at the personnel office and left quietly. I decided I wanted the formal ceremony, the chance to say goodbye to colleagues and friends and to be “piped over the side”. Also wanted to formally and publicly thank a few people for their support over the years. That night my wife, daughters and I went out for dinner. Looking back, I’m glad I went that route but I certainly understand it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

At my company, people who have had more than a few years of tenure and then leave are usually given a party in the big conference room, but it's a small company with well under 500 employees, maybe even half that now, so you usually recognize more people than you don't. It also just depends on the company culture. Some companies are social/party environments, and some aren't.

But I think the operative phrase here was 'Retiring During Covid'.
Most companies have something at Retirement, but she as asking, what is it like during the Pandemic.
My company..a big one, has no one in the building, during Covid..so retirements are even less fanfare than what she got. All by zoom, phone and fax.

Well, its about frigging time you walked away from that job! You should have done it earlier - like I did.

Just so all you guys/gals know..... I know this guy personally. :dance:

So here's my question:
For those of you that retired during this pandemic, what was your last day like?

As my wife pulled into the lot the band began to play "Hail to the Chief". Then As I walked through the door hundreds of people gathered and spontaneously began clapping. Balloons and confetti dropped from the ceiling.

The executive manager came to me, we hugged, and then we held hands as all who had gathered sang Kumbaya.

Then they carried me out over their heads singing.

I took the large barrel of cash donations and then was transported home via limo.

What a day, what a guy !

When you are self-employed, its somewhat simpler. Sell off the last client, and then stop walking downstairs to the office every morning at 7:30am ... the long commute is over! I'll miss talking to many of the clients every week, but I'll have time again for personal friendships.

As my wife pulled into the lot the band began to play "Hail to the Chief". Then As I walked through the door hundreds of people gathered and spontaneously began clapping. Balloons and confetti dropped from the ceiling.

The executive manager came to me, we hugged, and then we held hands as all who had gathered sang Kumbaya.

Then they carried me out over their heads singing.

I took the large barrel of cash donations and then was transported home via limo.

What a day, what a guy !

LOL. Wow, they were glad to see you go! [emoji898][emoji3]

I'm happy about your last day but, like others, I'm puzzled at why you were so opposed to wearing a mask. Were you trying to tell your soon to be ex colleagues that you didn't really give a flip about their health and wellbeing?

Had a going away get-together at a local brewpub yesterday. I did the arrangements and invites to keep it to only those that I thought would appreciate the event. Total list was about 25ish. Email invite stipulated there would not be presentations or gifts. Most complied. Still got a letter of appreciation, a bottle of bourbon and a visa gift card. A few tapped a glass and said a few thoughtful words. Nice, short and meaningful. I'll turn in the badge and computer on Tuesday and I'm done. 40 years. I think I'm ready.

+1. It seems pretty clear that the OP didn't forget a mask but was trying to make a statement by not wearing a mask.

I wonder if he even had a mask on his person or in his car? If so, then why not just go to the car and get it?

To me, wearing a mask isn't a political statement, but rather just a common social courtesy. Click it or ticket. Mask it or casket.

Agreed. Maybe discourtesy had something to do with the lack of retirement party.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom