Non-financial fears

I was the Corporate Director of a Non-profit Ballet Company (yeah weird but true) and for over 20 years worked as a volunteer ski patroller. I also served as a Boy Scout scoutmaster for a number of years before I had kids of my own and did a lot of other extraneous volunteer work such as organizing orienteering events, National Biathalon competitions, Triathalon race coordinator, downhill mountain biking judge, stuff like that. I also served as a Nordic skiing rescuer in the Virginia forests as a searcher for lost hikers/skiers. Strangely though in retirement I do nothing of this sort anymore. Partially as it doesn't exist here in Hungary
(Bolding mine) Huh?
Granted, I don't live in Hungary, but I did visit it few times and used to have a Magyar girlfriend before.
IMHO there is plenty of volunteer opportunities in Hungary (and even taking it further - most places on Earth)

Skiing is not great (really three places: Bukk, Matra & Pilis) and not always good snow coverage, but it does not mean there are no volunteer opportunities there.

Scouting movement is also there and similar like in US (but strangely not other countries) connected mostly with various churches (granted it's still tiny comparing to US, but it's been legal only since early 90ties I think).
IIRC Hungarian "cserkesz" (scouts) long time ago even used to own some boats on Balaton - I know they still have some permanent camps near Budapest.

Actually, there is a local ski area not far from Veszprem at Epleny which is adequate and a lot like Massanutten where I volunteered before in Virginia. Time is a big issue for me though and I am awfully happy not having any commitments. It is hard enough to remember that Tuesday is trash day. I certainly don't wear a watch and more or less oblivious to the time any more not to mention day or even date. But, my next door neighbor's wife is marketing director for the Zanka youth camp Znka Children & Youth Centre and I could volunteer there during the summer. My issue with doing that is language as I only speak rudimentary Hungarian. My German is more or less functional and it get me by here as this is a tourist destination for Austrians and Germans. I am also a certified Level 2 AASI snowboarding instructor. I "could" get a job teaching snowboarding in the Winter but I am not eager to hold a job any more. It is a hard life I lead now :)

Back
Top Bottom