Northern North Carolina....

ChiliPepr

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi,
My parents have decided to try to spend a few months in the northern half of North Carolina next year. Somewhere within 25-30 miles of the ocean. They are both in their upper 70s and active (DF is a single digit handicap), but are not super "outdoorsy".

They are going to go down later this year for a couple weeks to explore the area, does anyone have a suggestion of where to make a home base to explore from?

I grew up in NC so I will weigh in. I like New bern. very old city with soul, but they just got NAILED with the last hurricane. Water to their eyeballs. Lodging may be an issue anywhere close to the water in NC. Some folks really like Duck, NC. Havent been myself. Greenville is an interesting little city. Fairly vibrant as its a college town. Ive stayed with my great Aunt there as a young female and was told not to go to WalMart lest I get shot. YMMV. THe half-backs like Southern Pines/Aberdeen. Further from the water but the golf is perfect. That's PGA country. They call them halfbacks bc the yankees of NY/NJ went to FL and hated, and came halfway back. As far as the barrier islands go like Duck, depending on time of year availability of groceries and amenities can be a problem. We stayed off season on Ocracoke. Groceries were not plentiful, small selection and priced very dear. Peak season, you cant drive on Ocracoke. Locals use bikes to weave around the mess

The outer banks (OBX) are expensive for everything. While they might be around for several hundred years.... They also might not. Lately, getting smaller. They are not permanent islands.

Elizabeth City (pop ~20K) area is big enough to have all the basics without being like Raleigh, etc. It's a college town and has good dining, breweries, shopping, etc.

Been living in the LKN area for a dozen years. We divide our local road trips (4-8 days) between the coast and mountains. You/yours are welcome are welcome here, but let's just keep it amongst us. NC is the best kept secret on the east coast (really not much secret anymore, but we can try). :)

LKN? You're really hard to try to keep this a secret, aren't you? I lived in the Raleigh area for 16 years and have no idea where you are talking about.

Lake Norman (Charlotte suburb)

To the OP, I'd call anything within 25 miles of the coast "Eastern North Carolina". It's a world of difference near the coast compared to the piedmont.

You might suggest Elizabeth City to explore the Outer Banks and the Albemarle Sound areas. Making their home base out on the outer banks somewhere means long drives just to get off the islands.

Last edited:
If the parents are wanting to make an extended visit, I would suggest Western North Carolina and the mountains. Eastern North Carolina is extremely flat and frankly not very interesting.

My sister spends half the year in Banner-Elk in the far northwest, and she absolutely loves the region. The local citizens are very laid back, and the views from her back deck is nothing short of incredible.

Bamaman, I agree with you about the NC mountains. I would suggest the parents split time between the North Carolina mountains and the coast. I am near Banner Elk in Linville in the NC mountains from May to October each year and
just love it. I spend the winter months in Chapel Hill, NC, a great college town. If I were going to spend a lot of time along the NC coast I would chose either the Wilmington/Southport region (but that is southern NC) or the Outer Banks ( I especially like Manteo in the northern outer banks) but you have to watch out for hurricanes.

Bamaman, I agree with you about the NC mountains. I would suggest the parents split time between the North Carolina mountains and the coast. I am near Banner Elk in Linville in the NC mountains from May to October each year and
just love it. I spend the winter months in Chapel Hill, NC, a great college town. If I were going to spend a lot of time along the NC coast I would chose either the Wilmington/Southport region (but that is southern NC) or the Outer Banks ( I especially like Manteo in the northern outer banks) but you have to watch out for hurricanes.

+1.

Once one gets near 421 (or north of) along I-77, things get very beautiful very quickly. Further west, I-40 becomes the beauty boundary.

If one wants to be near the ocean, Elizabeth City is a good compromise of cost, QOL, prox to the big water, etc. But me? If I were to move within NC, I'd be headed for the high country. :) But not Asheville. Way over rated, expensive, crowded, etc. Great for a visit, but not to put down roots.

I live in a small town on the western side of the piedmont triad. Good medical care, low cost of living, not much traffic, amenities of medium size cites nearby, lots of recreational activities, moderate climate, 2 hour drive from big metro areas (Charlotte, Raleigh), 2 hours to Asheville, low crime, 4 hour drive to the coast.

I grew up on the coast. If I were going back to the east I would look first at the Crystal Coast area slightly south of New Bern (Beaufort, Swansboro, Cape Carteret). I’d also look at Elizabeth City, Washington, Edenton and some of the other quaint coastal towns north of New Bern and inland from the Outer Banks. I like Southport which is just south of Wilmington. I haven’t been to Greenville in 30 years, but I would check it out.

The coast does get hit by big hurricanes every 10 to 20 years. It is one of the unfortunate hazards of living near the shore. Floridians have the same issue. My parents moved from the coast to the piedmont about 2000 because they didn’t want to deal with periodic hurricanes anymore. I’ve lived in the piedmont for 40+ years, except for 5 years in southwest Florida. When I want to be on the coast I can take my travel trailer there in 4 hours or rent a condo inexpensively in the fall, winter, and early spring.

As for the mountains I agree Asheville is expensive and I wouldn’t live there full time. I like the village of Blowing Rock, near the college town of Boone. For those who want to be near Asheville look at Brevard or Hendersonville.

Lake Norman was great in the 1990’s before Charlotte exploded in size. Today it is too congested for my taste. There are other large lakes in the region beginning to develop year round housing. Look north of Hickory (Granite Falls) or at Lake James in western N.C.

If I were moving to the mountains for retirement I’d seriously look at Floyd Virginia which is 30 minutes south of the mid size city of Roanoke. It is also only a 90 mile drive north of Winston-Salem, NC which has a major medical center. Floyd is an eclectic community, with an arts and music heritage, starting to gain notice. Land is still inexpensive and the scenery is beautiful. Lots of outdoor recreation and cultural activities in the surrounding area. It is near the I81 corridor for easy travel north and south. Also right on the Blue Ridge Parkway (as is Blowing Rock, NC).

Central and piedmont North Carolina is blessed with major university research medical centers centers with strong national standing. Wake Forest is in Winston-Salem, Duke in Durham, and UNC in Chapel Hill. A nice benefit to living here if one develops a serious health issue.

Thank you, this is some great information. I am hopefully going to have them spend some time in a couple of these places.

My mom (60s) who lives in NC vacations in Floyd, VA. She takes my great Aunt and they do all kinds of mom and great Aunt-like things up there. Agree Floyd is worth considering.

Thank you, this is some great information. I am hopefully going to have them spend some time in a couple of these places.
If your parents go to the NC coast this fall, be aware many communities are still cleaning up from the recent hurricane. Many motels and campgrounds are filled with displaced locals. Some lodging and restaurants have not reopened. Definitely call ahead to determine the conditions in the areas of eastern NC they wish to visit. Areas miles inland from the coast were also severely damaged so don't assume a location 30-40 miles inland is back to normal.

But the North Carolina mountains had no damage from Hurricane Florence so come on up!

Back
Top Bottom