Nothing to see here, move along...

I think I will worry about the stock market, or if the Texans will win another game!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

If the Texans win another in a row (that will be three), J.J. Watts will get his own personal TV channel.:D

True enough. The only reason I can think of is that in order to do their jobs the military is also very, very good at logistics and supply. Every once in a while I read an article about what it takes to feed an army and the numbers are impressive.

Other than that agreed it is crazy to send the military there.
From a strategic perspective, the U.S. military has spent the last two decades trying to overcome the "Pax Americana" reputation by working with African governments. This is a great opportunity to send in the civil affairs and medical teams to help with relation-building (instead of nation-building)... while gaining real-world experience with handling epidemics and other nasty disease control. Interpreters, public affairs staffs, logistics, construction-- there's a lot of practical skills that the military can apply to help the medical staffs and the NGOs.

Maybe they can also treat patients with other diseases or syndromes, and build a school or two. But when it comes to budget negotiations, AFRICOM does not want to be sitting in their air-conditioned HQ writing point papers about engagement and partnerships.

I doubt that any of the troops could bring a case of Ebola back to the family. I'd be more worried about malaria and a host of other contagious diseases that could slip through a homeward-bound screening.

From a strategic perspective, the U.S. military has spent the last two decades trying to overcome the "Pax Americana" reputation by working with African governments. This is a great opportunity to send in the civil affairs and medical teams to help with relation-building (instead of nation-building)... while gaining real-world experience with handling epidemics and other nasty disease control. Interpreters, public affairs staffs, logistics, construction-- there's a lot of practical skills that the military can apply to help the medical staffs and the NGOs.

Maybe they can also treat patients with other diseases or syndromes, and build a school or two. But when it comes to budget negotiations, AFRICOM does not want to be sitting in their air-conditioned HQ writing point papers about engagement and partnerships.

I doubt that any of the troops could bring a case of Ebola back to the family. I'd be more worried about malaria and a host of other contagious diseases that could slip through a homeward-bound screening.

I have been following this pretty carefully via the almost daily reports on the PBS Newshour. The epidemic reached the crisis state in Sierra Leon and Liberia a month ago. It is getting worse in Guinea but not an exponential rate, according to the President of Doctors without borders.

Some of the US plans of training health workers will have to modified, since there simply aren't people to be trained in places like Liberia. Many of the hospital in Monrovia are essentially shut down the toll among health care workers has been really great. The greatest need is really warm bodies, who have received simple training in dealing with infections. Since virtually everybody in the Army/Marine has been trained in preparing for chemical and biological warfare. Skills like decontaminating areas and objects. Along with basics stuff like helping like distributing food and water to patients.

If we deploy the 3000 quickly they can save tens of thousands, maybe even 100,000+ lives, it seems like the risk of a couple cases of Ebola is a small price to pay.

If we deploy the 3000 quickly they can save tens of thousands, maybe even 100,000+ lives, it seems like the risk of a couple cases of Ebola is a small price to pay.
Especially for those of us who will safe right here. Perhaps less so for those who are deployed on this odd mission.

Ha

Last edited:
I will know the US population is in full pants-filling mode when you can no longer buy n95 masks on Amazon.

Especially for those of us who will safe right here. Perhaps less so for those who are deployed on this odd mission.

Ha

It is an all volunteer force, and I believe most are volunteers for this specific assignment.

Back
Top Bottom