Now retiring, need advice for an income fund

Thanks PB4uski, I'll re-read that till I get it. Like I said, I am bad with numbers! You do agree that I can just ask for them to send a 3% annual check monthly (.25%) and unless there's a bear market I can leave it on auto-pilot, correct?...

Yes, in fact I helped BIL's mom set that up for her account... except she was in Wellington. To be clear, I don't think that you can do a % each month but you can do an automatic withdrawal for a fixed amount and send the proceeds to your local bank account... then just update the fixed amount as needed. If you have a few different funds you could do it proportionally from each fund or from the biggest one and rebalance occasionally as needed.

I do something along those same lines but a bit different. I tend to hold about 5% in cash in an taxable online savings account that pays 0.95%... I have an automatic monthly transfer for a fixed amount from that online savings account to my local credit union account that I use to pay my bills (my monthly "paycheck")... when I rebalance my investments towards the end of each year I replenish the cash back up to 5%... the 5% would be enough to cover up to 22 months of transfers. It has worked splendid for us.

Back
Top Bottom