Now this is a retirement hobby

... AND, that she chose not to use her radio. ....
d

Zero, I suspect that as she was in a J-3 Cub, which has no electrical system, her radio is a battery powered portable. Probably kept off unless she needs to announce coming or going into a general aviation airport.

Just my guess.

Rich

She's earned a hefty fine and at least a license suspension, but to claim that a J-3 can "wipe out several homes" is an exaggeration.

I learned to fly in one. The airplane has an empty weight of less than 700 lbs, flies at about 65 mph, and lands slightly above 40 mph fully loaded. With only my skinny 150 lb. butt in it landing into a 10 mph wind I landed at about 25 mph ground speed and could have it stopped in less than 50 yards. The reason it was and is highly regarded as a trainer is that it requires true "stick 'n rudder" skills to fly, but does it so slowly that there is plenty of time to make mistakes and recover from them, and you have to work at being stupid to hurt yourself or anyone else with it.

I flew in J3 a couple of times while getting my license I also had chuckle at the thoughts of wiping out a couple houses in one. Under most circumstance I'd say that house would win in a collision with Cub. I am pretty sure that a muscle car in the hands of teenager, or a SUV driven by a distracted a soccer mom both pose much bigger threats to peoples houses. :)

Tough crowd.
The powered and sailplane (aka glider) pilots I knew had little use and less respect for those who were unable or unwilling to follow basic procedures designed to keep us all safe.

Flew in Class E and G many times without a radio in my hang gliders. FAA regs exempted us. Always had a radio when flying sailplanes. Having a skydiver airstrip and drop zone adjacent to an uncontrolled airstrip used by powered and unpowered craft meant the two organizations had long since worked out an agreement that all pilots needed radios. I don't remember if the FAA required it.

It sounds like this pilot is both old and bold. Hey, wait a minute...

Was just reminded of the movie "Secondhand Lions". Could be she has a plan for her assets and herself.
Hub: What do ya want me to do? Die of old age?

Sheriff: Best I can figure, they were trying to fly through that barn, upside down.

Back
Top Bottom