Oil biz

I a huge believer in EV's, at least I am now, but that didn't stop me from buying BP (oil) recently. My wife bought a Tesla Model 3 sight unseen back in 2016 and had to wait over two years to take delivery. I told her I thought it was foolish to buy a car that was not even in production yet (and an electric one at that!). She said the money was fully refundable and I didn't have a good argument for that so...

Fast-fwd two-plus years. She was notified it was time to pick up her new car (and pay for it). I asked her if she was sure she wanted to go through with it and she said yes but she was too excited and nervous and asked me if I would drive it the 100 plus miles home. I told her of course.

After 5 minutes behind the wheel I was amazed. It was unlike anything I had ever driven. Better, much better. In so many ways. I couldn't believe how quiet it was and how telepathically it steered without the typical body-sway. It was like a thoroughbred in a field full of donkeys. After 30 minutes of driving I loved my wife even more. I couldn't believe how smart she was!

My point is, people think low oil prices will slow EV adoption but I think they don't understand that EV's offer a superior ownership experience and will sell like hotcakes regardless of oil prices. About 6 months later the EV skeptic (me) decided my wife was hogging her Model 3 too much. I only got to drive it when we went somewhere together, otherwise, she was galavantin' all over the county (and more) on cheap electricity and I was stuck driving my 3-year-old gas-powered car. Yes, it still looked and drove like new but, compared to the Tesla, it was like driving a bucket of bolts! So I put in an order for my own Model 3. Now, we have about 3 1/2 years and 50K miles between the two of us and they both have been 100% reliable and cheap to operate. Zero maintenance costs so far (I rotate the tires myself) and gas would have to be around $0.50-$0.75/gallon for energy costs to be on par depending on how you figure it.

A stop-loss will keep me from losing money on the BP shares I bought recently. I figure people still don't understand how superior Teslas are and that will buy me some time. Seriously, people are still buying new gas-powered cars! This blows my mind because gas cars are not nearly as nice to live with day-to-day and they actually cost more once you consider the total cost of ownership right up to eventual resale. But most people still don't understand that. I think a really cheap econobox might have a lower total cost of ownership but not many people buy new cars that are really cheap. Nor do they want to drive them. Around here, people who buy new cars tend to spend around $30-$45K and, if they are not prepared to spend that much, they get a nice used car. But gas cars will be sucking on the oil teat for years to come because every year people keep buying them.

People contemplating investing in this sector should watch the interview with the CEO of Pioneer Natural Resources on CNBC from last week. I heard a tone of desperation from him. Russia and Saudi Arabia want to kill the U.S. shale industry. The major oil companies want to kill the independent oil producers. Many independent oil producers have to keep pumping oil just to pay interest on their loans and debt. If there ever was a circular firing squad, this is it.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/03/...if-production-continues-amid-coronavirus.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom