Old Stock Certificate

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
My Dad's been gone a long while, and my mom, getting ready to move, was going through the files and came across a stock certificate. She asked me how to check if it was worth anything.

How would one even start to research a 60 year old issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210718-213100.jpg
    Screenshot_20210718-213100.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20210718-213017.jpg
    Screenshot_20210718-213017.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20210718-212944.jpg
    Screenshot_20210718-212944.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 68
I thought Computershare pretty much had the stock transfer agent business locked up. Try calling them.

My google search gave me this…..

“Call a discount or full-service brokerage house and provide the CUSIP number, which is unique to each individual stock certificate, and stock brokerages can use this number to find out exactly the status of the company. Most larger discount brokerage houses will do this search for free, but be sure to ask first.”

https://pocketsense.com/research-old-company-stocks-6457340.html

Even if the stock is worthless, the paper certificate have collector value.

Clever....

It took me a minute to figure out it was an inch on the right side scroll bar:
Nice search result. Thanks Robbie & Sunset!

I had some old stock certs. in an obscure file folder. Didn't pay any attention as I thought they were worthless. But a year or two later, I got a letter indicating some action (can't recall if a name change or something else "dramatic.") In any case, they offered me money and I took it. Probably too naive to know what I was doing, but rather than pitch the paper, I was able to redeem for several hundred dollars. Who knew? I no longer own any stock certs. (that I recall:facepalm: ) YMMV

Maybe take it to some place like Scott Trade in person and ask the guy there what it's worth? They do this all the time.

Back
Top Bottom