Optionality here!

Optionality

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hey,

Glad I found this forum with an opportunity to introduce myself. I'm Optionality. I learned about FIRE about 4 years ago. Before that, I was pretty frugal, never been much of a spendthrift, but without a real goal for it - which also means I was probably _too_ frugal?

In any case, 4 years ago, I could project that I would be retired in about 7 or 8 years. However, I had few promotions at work, and reached a point where I could probably safely retire (around $5 M in total assets, MCOL area) a year ago. I'm now closer to 8.

Problem is that I have not really thought through what I would do when I reached FIRE, as, well, I did not expect to be here already. Maybe you guys can give me some inspiration!

Do you not have any hobbies or interests?

I'm a chronic builder, have a lake house with boats and a RV in the mountains. I cut grass constantly in season.

Hi, Optionality, and welcome! :)

Problem is that I have not really thought through what I would do when I reached FIRE, as, well, I did not expect to be here already.

Well, other than chores, what do you do on your weekends and "down time" (when you have a little, now and then)? Do that! You don't need to assign yourself another job. You worked hard and now it's time for you to enjoy life.

Or, you could make a list of things you would rather do than go to work. One nice thing about retirement is that you can do what you want, as long as you want to do it. Some people travel a lot, or paint, or work on fitness, and so on. But I think for me the best way to start retirement was to unwind and let the work stress peel off like the layers of an onion. That took me about six months of doing very little.

Welcome Optionality. Too little info to comment on your options but it is certainly nice to be FI and have options. I will note that I ERd 17 years ago at 56 without any specific plans and adjusted in about 15 minutes. YMMV.

With 3 young children and a wife pursuing an academic career, I have very little time to really explore hobbies. I (used to?) like video games, and I still do, I suppose, but it has too little purpose. I can't really "do nothing" - I've had to serve a one-year non-compete in which I could not work, and I simply could not do it.

@chris2008: I will read your suggested link, thanks!

@donheff: Yes, you are absolutely right there are too few details. I've not had a lot of time for things I want over the last few years, so I guess I am going to have to rediscover that!

I'm still pretty happy with the spot I am in - I know that I could basically call it a day whenever I want and that in itself is really pleasant.

Welcome and congrats! Develop some hobbies / interests and let them consume you. You'll never wonder again as to what to do.

Welcome to the forum. There is an old saying "you have a job to retire from, but you need something to retire to" which seems to fit your case exactly. The "retire to" can be spending more time with family as you said you still have young children. Plus a wife pursuing further education, maybe give her ability to go full time and you take over a lot of the home activities with kids and house? Or rekindle some hobby interests, work on improving your health, get some home improvements done, or whatever that will use your time available once not working. It seems that with your savings you are good financially, just need to figure out what you want to do with the new free time.

I second Ernie Zelinski's book and "get a Life" tree exercise.
With little ones at home, you will probably find you don't have too much free time! Enjoy being able to engage daily in their growth and play, be involved in school and sports over time.
Take some time to decompress from work stress, relax and enjoy your days. You will find your days filling up and you will wonder how you had time to work.

Welcome to retirement--your time is your to do as you please! It's a great feeling.

Is you name related to the book Optionality? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KYZ9MM...olid=31VLAUOLZ0SNM&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It's on my reading list but haven't bit to buy it and not something I'll get from my library.

I've found my first 6 months (and two days!) FIREd to be pretty full. I'm still hoping to add a few more friends that are free or have flexible schedules during "work days" and hope to find a compatible SO but keep pretty busy and most days seem to fly by! I take time to enjoy my coffee or tea in the morning, workout 5 days most weeks in addition to running, paddle boarding, and hiking/exploring (bought a state park pass), bowl, take guitar lessons and practice (frustrating and rewarding even though I am horrible), read more consistently, usually hit live music at least once a week, and meet with friends a few days a week. I have a few short trips coming up in the spring as well.

Years ago I started a list of things I enjoy, used to enjoy, want to try, etc to refer to when I achieved freedom.... haven't need to go to to it to fill my life with meaningful things. I can't even find it (which is driving me nuts right now, just spent 15 minutes looking for it).

ETA: Just caught up on this thread and am reading the link... my list was the "Get a Life Tree" mentioned in the link... and I still haven't found it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom