Our 30:30 Plan – Targeting ER at Age 55 (intro)

Sandman62

Dryer sheet aficionado
I recently found this site and have enjoyed reading so far. I am 50 years old and my wife 49. Our goal has always been what we like to call “Our 30:30 Plan” = work roughly 30 years, then live financially independent and retired for at least another 30 years. Obviously, we don’t have full control over our lifespans, but we did realize that we have a lot of control over how to live and save during our working 30 years in order to keep the dream alive. So we’ve always lived below our means, yet still don’t feel deprived.

Though we by no means hate our jobs, we do feel like we’d rather spend more time at home with each other, exercising, beaching, gardening, volunteering, maybe writing, and maybe eventually with some grandchildren around,. IOW, if it weren’t for needing job income, we don’t think we’d keep working. That said, I am currently reading Ernie Zelinski’s “How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free” to start thinking more about the “Now that we’ve spent 30 years preparing for retirement, what’s this beast going to look like?” :confused:

I've also posted a more detailed background and an open-ended request for a review of our plan over on the FIRE and Money board: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/our-30-30-plan-targeting-er-at-age-55-detailed-65688.html

Thanks for hosting such a welcoming and informative community! :cool:

Last edited:
Welcome! I like your "30:30" name.

Welcome! I like your "30:30" name.

Agreed. It's the exact plan we have, if I can survive another 7 years where I work now. :LOL: I just don't have a fancy name for it, but I do now.

Good luck! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom