Paint can replacements

euro

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I seem to recall a short discussion of replacement options for metal paint cans. I suppose it must have been part of another, possibly unrelated thread because I can't find it using the search function.
Does anyone remember the discussion or if not, what are reasonable paint can replacement options that will be less prone to rusting but still able to preserve the paint for a reasonably long time?
Thanks much for enlightening me!

I've bought paint in plastic cans, which was nice as they don't rust.

I also used a replacement cover for the can that had a pour spout with a screw top lid. Great for paint jobs that spanned a couple of weeks or more.

I also like the plastic bag idea, it's even better than getting milk in a bag !

I believe Behr has switched to plastic 1 gal paint cans, that's what I got the last time I picked up a gallon of paint at my local HD. They do sell empty Behr black plastic 1 gal cans at HD.

I get cheap plastic containers with screw top lids. When I'm done using a can of paint and there is still a reasonable amount left in the can, I pour it into one of them, leaving little or no air gap between the liquid and the lid and screw the cap on tight. That seems to keep the paint fresh for quite a few years.

I take a sharpie and write the paint name and code numbers on the plastic container so I can go back to the store and get more of the same if needed.

The conversation began here. I almost posted a few weeks ago to say my orange flavored vitamin C and D chewables had a strong orange smell as soon as I opened the cardboard box they were shipped in, and the bottle was well sealed. I don't think paint solvents, even with oil based paint, smell through steel cans. I'd go with steel.

I seem to recall a short discussion of replacement options for metal paint cans. I suppose it must have been part of another, possibly unrelated thread because I can't find it using the search function.
Does anyone remember the discussion or if not, what are reasonable paint can replacement options that will be less prone to rusting but still able to preserve the paint for a reasonably long time?
Thanks much for enlightening me!

I have used a plastic Chinese food soup takeout container. I just put a piece of plastic wrap over the top first before I put the lid on to make an extra secure seal.

I know Sherwin Williams comes in plastic. My painter friend likes Benjamin Moore. I trust his recommendation, but I don't think they have plastic. Though, I have seen him with some plastic paint cans where he took the lid off and used it as a painter's bucket (he's very frugal) so maybe certain types of Benjamin Moore come in a plastic can even if it doesn't look like it at first glance.

Just be careful to clean all paint from the lids/threads of the container.

I thought I was being bright by storing some leftover paint in in old peanut jars just large enough to be filled near the top. But I guess I also did some painting from them, or just slopped some paint on the lip in the process. Well, years later, when I went to open it, the paint had glued the lid shut! I think I even had some plastic wrap over the top, but it still stuck.

It required so much force, that the plastic shattered and the paint leaked out everywhere.

Be careful!

-ERD50

I no longer keep old paint just the information. I am genetically doomed to mess it up somehow and just get more if needed.

Back
Top Bottom