Pay for Part B premiums?

PERSonalTime

Recycles dryer sheets
I'll will be signing up for medicare soon, but do not qualify for social security retirement benefits. Therefore, I will have to pay the Part B premiums directly to social security myself. For those of you who are paying direct, how is that done? Do you have more than one option? If so, why did you choose one particular option over another?

I get a paper bill every month and pay by bank bill-pay. Don't recall if there were any other options.

Auto withdrawal from my bank account. When I started SS they automatically transitioned to my SS payment.

Auto withdrawal from my bank account. ...

+1 They call Easy Pay and it just comes out of my checking account.

For a while in the beginning they mailed me a bill and I ordered a check from the bank but that was quarterly and the Easy Pay is indeed easy.

I'll will be signing up for medicare soon, but do not qualify for social security retirement benefits. Therefore, I will have to pay the Part B premiums directly to social security myself. For those of you who are paying direct, how is that done? Do you have more than one option? If so, why did you choose one particular option over another?
We use bank bill pay. Medicare gives you bank bill pay instructions - what information is needed. Currently DH is paying directly from his HSA account, scheduled bill pay. DH schedules a year’s worth of payments at a time once he gets his notice of the new year rates.

Other direct pay options are pay online with a credit or debit card, or mail a check. Medicare sends us a paper bill. We get it monthly because we are subject to IRMAA.

We chose this instead of using Easy Pay because we wanted to push rather than pull. When we do start SS there will a timing issue with the first month payment and we can control that.

Last edited:
I'm delaying Social Security until older, but I signed up for Medicare, therefore I have to pay part B from my pocket.
Medicare sends me a bill every 3 months (now going up to $524.10), which I pay at the Medicare Website with my credit card.

DH does not get any Social Security benefit. We set up the Easy Pay through the Medicare website and it's deducted every month from the checking account with ACH.

We get a bill every month. Because it's all set up for automatic payment it clearly says This Is Not A Bill.

I pay mine with my credit card. There's no extra charge and I can't pass up the 2% the cash back from my CC!

I started Medicare in September. After the first month of paying by check, I set up Easy Pay through the Medicare website. The payment is deducted every month from our checking account via ACH. We still get a paper statement every month, but because the automatic payment is set up, the statement clearly says This Is Not A Bill. Unfortunately Uncle SAM lets Aunt IRMAA make her large mark on the monthly statement too.

My social security check (tiny) for the year is withheld for Medicare premiums and when I receive my social security letter telling me my new check amount, they also tell me the additional amount that I owe for premiums for the year. I send them a check. The last time that I checked, they would not let me pay by credit card.

I get a paper bill every month and pay by bank bill-pay. Don't recall if there were any other options.
This is also what we did.

When DW went on Medicare we used bank bill pay, which was challenging because for the first year they kept sending invoices for differing amounts and then correcting. There was no credit card option and I was reluctant to use direct debit until they started invoicing the correct amounts.

DB is starting Medicare this month and it appears there is a bill for a quarterly payment not monthly. No SS or IRMAA.

Yes, if no IRMAA and not drawing SS people are billed for 3 months at a time.

I recall to pay Part B quarterly bill on Medicare website using CC (no extra charge) before claiming SSB.

I'm delaying Social Security until older, but I signed up for Medicare, therefore I have to pay part B from my pocket.
Medicare sends me a bill every 3 months (now going up to $524.10), which I pay at the Medicare Website with my credit card.

+1, but their quarterly bill is very confusing as to Basic premiums and IRMAA portions due. I keep a spreadsheet to track mine and my wife’s premiums due and payments. We will be reimbursed for these premiums paid by my wife’s Pension/ retirement plan, so I make sure we keep good track of these payments.

I pay mine with my credit card. There's no extra charge and I can't pass up the 2% the cash back from my CC!

this is what i do. very quick and easy online. why not get a 2% discount?

+1
I like to grab the credit card cash rebate. I may prepay for the year since I travel a lot and may miss this bill. Most of my other bills are on autopilot.

Back
Top Bottom