Paying at the time of service... but it is the wrong charge

Yes - and when I find a provider whose office staff is easy to deal with in these matters, I will continue to use them and recommend them to my friends.

It is one reason we moved from our previous dentist. They made us feel, when the procedure charge was less than what we paid in advance, that is was *our* fault, and that we were inconveniencing them asking for a refund. A typical conversation:

Us: You charged us $XX for this, but the EOB from our insurance company says we should have been charged <$XX

Them: Well, that is what they told us the charge was at the time.

Us: Okay, so when can you refund the difference?

Them: The person who handles that is not in, we will leave them a message, they will call you.

...A few days go by with no response... so we call

Us: We called a few days ago about this, the you said could handle this was supposed to call us back about this, but they have not.

Them: Well, we left them the message. They probably tried to reach you but you were not in.

Us: We have answering machines on all of our phones and no call or message came from your office. What is that persons schedule?

Them: I don't know.

... eventually we call and reach the person...

Us: This is about the refund we called about that we left a message that was to be given to you about our refund request.

The Person: I never received any message, what is this about?

Us: (describing the situation again)

The Person: Let me check on this...

(a minute goes by)

The Person: I have to send this to our central office for processing.

Us: How long will it take?

The Person: I do not know, it depends on their cycle, probably at least 30 days. It is out of our control at that point.
-----------------------------------------------
We stuck with them for a while as they had a couple of very good, honest dentists, who were not pleased with the office staff when we raised the issue. I think this just got the office staff mad at us, and eventually those two dentists left the practice. For that and other reasons, we found a new dental practice soon after they left.

It's too bad, really. I was gonna suggest at next service, you say: "You owe me a credit. Apply that to my bill and I'll pay you the remainder when you get it all squared away."

When they whine - tell them to pound sand and "Now, it's in YOUR corner."

Sad we feel "wrong" for wanting our own money when someone else made the billing mistake and doesn't even apologize much less expedite the solution.

I have victory! 4 calls to the office and one to the insurance but I have a pending credit to my CC.

They seemed entirely put out by having to do it as well.

Back
Top Bottom