Paying the tax man

Philliefan33

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Today as I was paying bills, I clicked around on Quicken to explore the format changes. I stumbled across a chart that showed our YTD spending by category and learned that 53% of our spending so far this year was on taxes (income tax and property tax).

Not 53% of our income. Of the money we spent, 53% was to pay taxes. We are doing fine and have plenty to spend on our needs and wants, and I am not complaining about paying taxes. It was just jarring to learn that our spending other than taxes is so low.

Time to BTD on something fun!

I've had years like that, when I exercised employee stock options, or did large Roth conversions. Do you have a situation like that this year?

I've had years like that, when I exercised employee stock options, or did large Roth conversions. Do you have a situation like that this year?

Bingo! We had a large capital gain from selling our rental property at the end of 2020, with the income tax paid in 2021.

I had forgotten about that.

My biggest tax bite comes from my RMD's. I just use part of them to pay the taxes.

Last year (W*rking) 47% of my spending went to taxes (excluding sales tax which would nudge it up a little more). Not sure how this year will be. Next year, I may only pay property taxes and sales taxes if I play my cards right and don't do anything stupid like get a j*b.

Sorry, my fault - :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom