Peter Falk dies

I see he had Alzheimer's. My mom had it, too. I hate that disease.

Sad to hear. Was just reading about him having Alzhiemer's in a recent article of Glen Campbell just diagnosed with that too.

I hate it because I watched it destroy my mom's personality and intelligence and her care at home used up all their retirement money. And that made the last 4 years of my dads life very difficult on him, even though all os us siblings kept him afloat. But you are also right-now I fear it. It ruins all you and your spouse hope for.

Sorry, I guess you can tell I'm a little bitter about it.

I (like pretty much everybody) really likedhim in Columbo. But my first experience with Peter Falk was going to the movies when I was a really young kid and seeing him in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. What a great performance! I remember laughing so hard I cried.

I also really enjoyed him in The Princess Bride. I don't think that would be the classic it is with a different Grandpa.

RIP, and thanks.

Odd story to go along with this thread. Neighbor across the street had a brother that just died of this disease. Yesterday DW and I were talking about that and then got into Glen Campbell's diagnosis and others that died from the same thing. She says "what ever happened to that TV detective guy with the sloppy raincoat. He has Alzheimers you know." I told her that was Peter Faulk andI think he died a while back. Couple hours later I'm on the computer and see where he died yesterday. It gave us a creepy feeling that he died on the day we were talking about him. What do you call that? Coincidence?

I hate it because I watched it destroy my mom's personality and intelligence and her care at home used up all their retirement money. And that made the last 4 years of my dads life very difficult on him, even though all os us siblings kept him afloat. But you are also right-now I fear it. It ruins all you and your spouse hope for.
I'm a few steps behind you on that road, but I completely understand how it leads to that destination.

Nords, I wish you and yours well on the journey and as much peace as possible. This is the one disease that seems to affect the loved ones as deeply as the sufferers.

The closest model for Columbo, I think, was Father Brown, created by the Christian apologist G. K. Chesterton. Rumpled, diffident, seemingly almost impaired, Father Brown was nonetheless a master analyst, taught through hearing so many confessions of criminals, to see the world in the same twisted way as they saw it, and through that understanding, able to devise a way to ensnare them.

Back
Top Bottom