Phoenix Area - Sites to see, places to go

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We may be visiting Phoenix in early May to visit relatives and friends. Since they are younger folk, helping to pay our SS benefits, they will be working all the time we are there, so we need to find activities that will interest us.

What is there to do near Phoenix, other than play golf and sit by the pool on a hot sunny day? Ideally we would like to not drive more than two hours round trip. So places like Sedona and Tucson we may visit when we can stay there for a few nights.

Hiking, museums, Native American culture are some of our interests.

Here's another thought.... Would September/October be a better time to visit?

Last edited:
Having lived in Phoenix for over 30 years before moving north to Sedona, I have a few suggestions. Early May will be OK for hiking as long as you get an early start. Nights are comfortable but the sun heats things up during the day. For strong hikers, I recommend Camelback Mountain and Piestewa Peak. Those are busy trails but give great views at the summit. There are milder hikes around the base of Piestewa Peak if you prefer. The Desert Botanical Garden is a unique gem but check to see what if any limitations there are.

Since you have an interest in Native American culture, you must visit the Heard Museum. Nearby is the Phoenix Art Museum. Also of interest would be the Musical Instruments Museum near Tatum and the 101 Freeway in north Phoenix. Haven't been myself but have heard great reviews. If you have an interest in Frank Lloyd Wright, you must get a tour of Talliesin West, his "desert laboratory." If you are looking for unique gifts, visit Cosanti tucked away in Paradise Valley. It's famous for their bronze wind bells. Tours are available there too.

IMHO, early May should be fine to visit. September frankly is still pretty hot and in October, the days are shorter.

A drive to the top of South Mountain is a pleasant diversion especially if you do it in the morning. If I think of more, I will add to the list.

The Boyce Thompson Arboretum in Superior AZ is another great place to visit and is within your one hour distance.

the musical instrument museum (MIM) is amazing. north of phoenix, in scottsdale. We spent the entire day their and did not see everything. there is also a nice botanical garden to walk thru in scottsdale. it will be pretty warm there in may and september.

Keep it on the down low - Basha's Corporate headquarters. Unassuming building and inside is the largest highest quality collection of Indian and Western art I've ever seen. Free. Beats any museum I've seen. Ranks of baskets displayed in vertical rows 4-5 high. Row after row of Kachinas. Several dozen six guns. Oil paintings galore. In Chandler AZ.

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ss...8#lrd=0x872b000a290010cd:0x41e3d4ca593a2441,1,,,

The Casa Grande Ruins are interesting. Hiking is pretty much everywhere. I would suggest the All Trails app.

We visited Phoenix in 2017. The Heard Museum, AZ Diamondbacks game and Wrigley Mansion were favorites.

(We took rental car to Sedona for Pink Jeep Tour and lunch at Asylum in Jerome, AZ.)

If you go, please report back. It is fun reading about what others do on trips.

South Mountain hiking, Hidden valley & fat man's pass is fun.

We had a Scottsdale condo for 17 years and visited a lot of places:

Heard museum
Taliesin - Frank Lloyd Wright
Desert Botannical Garden
Penske racing museum
Events at Westworld
Odysea aquarium and Butterfly wonderland
Scottsdale historical museum
Shops in downtown Scottsdale
Sears Kay ruins - old small hohokam village
Boat ride on Saguaro Lake
Goldfield ghost town
Day trip to Tombstone
Day trip to Davis Monthan AFB airplane boneyard and Pima Air and space museum
Road trip - Phoenix-fountain hills (see the fountain)-payson-sedona-Jerome-Prescott-wickenburg-Phoenix (spend a night or 2 in sedona)
Pink Jeep tour in sedona
Sedona hikes - bell rock, cathedral rock, devil’s bridge
At least 30 Phoenix area hikes - camelback mtn and piestawa are short, steep and crowded. Tough to find parking at camelback.
Hike McDowell Sonoran Preserve -lots of trails - I like Tom’s Thumb
Hike Pinnacle Peak
Hike along Salt River near Coons Bluff to see wild horses
Drive/ hike South Mountain

Here’s 40 hikes that we did a few winters ago https://youtu.be/f89cjzKbR_I

Lots of things to do in and around Phoenix. Have fun and stay hydrated!

Having lived in the Phoenix area for the past 44 years, we've found outdoor activities better suited in early May than in September. The Sonoran desert area in May can be beautiful.

A word of caution though - morning temperatures in early May can be deceptively cool here and rise into the high 90's and even low 100's within hours. Popular hiking trails on Camelback mountain, Piestewa Peak and the Superstition Mountain areas have had more than their share of unprepared hikers needing rescue. Heat exhaustion followed by mechanical injuries are leading causes.

Stay hydrated, stay on established trails, wear sunscreen, a wide-brimmed hat, appropriate footwear and avoid mid-day hiking.

We have been to Phoenix twice. Not sure how far you are willing to "roam", but...

1) Flagstaff has the Lowell Observatory if you're interested in outer space...we loved it and got to see "star Vega" through one of their scopes

2) Meteor crater is I think about 90 minutes away...but not far from Flagstaff if you're up that way...we enjoyed that

3) Spend 1-2 days in Sedona...one of the most beautiful parts of the country I've ever seen. It's much higher in elevation than Phoenix, so temps are MUCH lower usually

4) Both Glendale and Scottsdale areas have many great restaurants

An earlier poster mentioned a day trip to Tombstone. Consider staying a couple of nights there and include a visit to Kartchner Caverns; voted "Best Arizona Attraction" by USA Today 2017 Reader's Choice Awards.

https://azstateparks.com/kartchner/cave-tours/cave-information
IMHO, Tombstone is at best an afternoon attraction. If going to that corner of the state for overnight, stay in Bisbee at one of their old time hotels. Far more interesting old mining town, I think. The copper mine tour is worth it but not sure of covid restrictions.

I agree on Kartchner Caverns, it's a fantastic tour. Actually there are two tours but one is closed for part of the year to accommodate a bat colony. Either is fascinating and I would highly recommend doing at least one.

We moved to the East Valley of Phoenix 3 years ago. We are just getting around to visiting a few spots, but have been doing some research on what we can do for short overnights or day trips. In about a week and a half we are going down to Tucson to see the Pima Air and Space Museum. We plan on taking the two day admission package, but it seems that it can be done in one day. Also down in that general vicinity are the Kartchner Caverns, that we hear are a must see. We’ll do that on another trip. Note that to visit the caverns, you need to have reservations. So if you have interest in that, you’ll want to research it well in advance.

If heading down to the Tucson area the Sonora Desert Museum is well worth a visit, mostly outdoors so dress appropriately.

Last edited:
Biosphere just north of Tucson is interesting.

One other issue has come up. We recently stayed in another city (not Phoenix) at what promised to be a nice hotel. But, the area surrounding it was not so good. High Crime, lots of fenced properties, quesitonable street activities (drugs?) and the need for guards to patrol the hotel grounds at night.

It was cheap in dollars, but costly in regards to our enjoyment. Thankfully, we only stayed two nights.

Are there areas and neighborhoods in Phoenix one should avoid? Or maybe I should ask what areas are relatively crime free? I want to be free to walk a few blocks to dinner and enjoy the warm evenings. I don't want to worry that the morning may bring a broken into car as happened to another guest at this hotel.

I am also looking for recommendations for a nice hotel, not one of the big chains, but an independent or a small local chain.

Last edited:
There are exceptions but the worse sections of Phoenix are probably on the south side, south of I10, areas generally get better the further north and east you go. I usually stay in Scottsdale at the Westin Kierland, very nice place and no problems walking around, many nice nearby restaurants. Old Town Scottsdale is also a nice area and more central.

^^^ Scottsdale and Paradise Valley are affluent areas, and also more touristy with more shops and restaurants. The Phoenician is a very nice resort, if you don't mind the price. The Old Town Scottsdale is a lively area, and very walkable.

There are safe areas in Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, and Phoenix proper, but the hotels are generally in more or less residential areas, safe, but boring.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom